*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 3 universal joint propshaft

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk 3 universal joint propshaft

Postby gwynfe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Drawing a blank when trying to locate a uj for my mk 3 long wheelbase 100 transit.
The one I am replacing was 27 x 73 the caps were just pushed in with no retaining circlip as there is no groove in the cap or in the yoke to seat a clip.
As far as I can find the only uj for this vehicle lists the size as 31x76 (£50) with internal clips on the cap, obviously this won't fit
Anyway I have fitted a land rover defender uj 27x 75 (£6) this fits perfectly but of course there is no provision to fit the circlip and I'm worried the caps will eventually move even though it was a very tight fit during assembly
Please guys, any ideas what I should do ?ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
gwynfe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk 3 universal joint propshaft

Postby gwynfe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:47 pm

gwynfe wrote:Drawing a blank when trying to locate a uj for my mk 3 long wheelbase 100 transit.
The one I am replacing was 27 x 73 the caps were just pushed in with no retaining circlip as there is no groove in the cap or in the yoke to seat a clip.
As far as I can find the only uj for this vehicle lists the size as 31x76 (£50) with internal clips on the cap, obviously this won't fit
Anyway I have fitted a land rover defender uj 27x 75 (£6) this fits perfectly but of course there is no provision to fit the circlip and I'm worried the caps will eventually move even though it was a very tight fit during assembly
Please guys, any ideas what I should do ?ImageImageImageImageImage

Just realised It could be a mk5 prop what threw me was it has a mk3 centre prop bearing. Image

gwynfe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Chug » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:37 pm

Interesting that the Landy ones fit, the only time I've seen UJ's changed they have been welded, maybe it's possible to find someone to cut circlip grooves?
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby gwynfe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:11 pm

Chuggy wrote:Interesting that the Landy ones fit, the only time I've seen UJ's changed they have been welded, maybe it's possible to find someone to cut circlip grooves?
Yes thanks that's a possibility, but to be honest I would rather fit the original part just not sure what that is. Ideally it would be 27 x 80 with a grove cut on the internal part of the cap to fit a circlip. Don't suppose gluing a clip would secure the cap?

gwynfe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gwynfe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:56 pm

After a little research I have found out that the uj that I removed was known as a staked in There is no circlip but the inside of the yoke is ' staked ' when new to prevent the joint from moving.
A 27 x 80 uj would be a perfect replacement if it has an internal grove cut in the cups. Other than this perhaps I could cut a groove in the yoke so a clip will fit

gwynfe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits