*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear wheel bearing lubrication??? HELP

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Rear wheel bearing lubrication??? HELP

Postby Nolimit » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:33 pm

Hi folk,

I am in the middle of repairing my twin wheel smiley truck 190 with 15" wheels [year 1995].

The rear NS brake drum is soaked in gear oil, so the brakes have been changed and I am replacing the two oil seals in the hub that have failed.

I would like some information on how the rear wheel bearings are lubricated? Is it via the differential gear oil or are the bearings grease packed?

I am a little confused with the inner oil seal, that would prevent any oil from the axle getting into the rear bearing. The inner rear bearing [the larger one] is between two oil seals, so I guess this would need to be grease packed.

Any thoughts or info on this much appreciated.

NL
Nolimit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Rear wheel bearing lubrication??? HELP

Postby dumper » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:40 am

Pack the inner bearing with grease as you would a front wheel bearings the outer bearing gets oil from down the axle tube as the van drivers down the road some axles have plugs where you can top them up not sure on transits but when you assemble it grease it just like the inner bearings so you know it’s not going to seize up till the oil gets to it you can also use oil can to put a little oil in as well.
If put together dry they will seize up
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Nolimit » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:10 pm

dumper wrote:Pack the inner bearing with grease as you would a front wheel bearings the outer bearing gets oil from down the axle tube as the van drivers down the road some axles have plugs where you can top them up not sure on transits but when you assemble it grease it just like the inner bearings so you know it’s not going to seize up till the oil gets to it you can also use oil can to put a little oil in as well.

Thanks for that Dumper, I had that in mind but wasn't sure. I have had to repair many twin wheel axles/drums/oil seals but have not come across any with an inner seal. Just waiting on the new seals to get the job done. While I am on, do you know of any specific torque setting for the big hub bearing lock nuts?

Thanks again

NL
Nolimit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dumper » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:58 pm

Nolimit wrote:
dumper wrote:Pack the inner bearing with grease as you would a front wheel bearings the outer bearing gets oil from down the axle tube as the van drivers down the road some axles have plugs where you can top them up not sure on transits but when you assemble it grease it just like the inner bearings so you know it’s not going to seize up till the oil gets to it you can also use oil can to put a little oil in as well.

Thanks for that Dumper, I had that in mind but wasn't sure. I have had to repair many twin wheel axles/drums/oil seals but have not come across any with an inner seal. Just waiting on the new seals to get the job done. While I am on, do you know of any specific torque setting for the big hub bearing lock nuts?

Thanks again

NL

I’ve come across quite a few on psvs and hgvs over the years and seen the aftermath when they have been put back together without greaseing the inner bearings they don’t take many miles to destroy themselves
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Nolimit » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:44 pm

dumper wrote:
Nolimit wrote:

Thanks again

NL

I’ve come across quite a few on psvs and hgvs over the years and seen the aftermath when they have been put back together without greaseing the inner bearings they don’t take many miles to destroy themselves

Thanks again for the help, Did you have any idea of a torque setting for the big hub retaining lock nut?
Nolimit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby V184 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:44 pm

55ibft
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Nolimit » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:43 pm

V184 wrote:55ibft