*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Well sorted DI

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Well sorted DI

Postby oldyellar » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:57 pm

Hi guys I acquired myself a nice 9k miles mk5 around 6 month ago, after 10years out a mk5.
since getting her I have treated it to a genuine Ford timing belt and tensioner all genuine Ford filters and oil.
It runs sweet atm and I'm going to turn the pump up slightly I've been soaking the bolts to the egr with penetrating fluid as I plant to blank it.
I'm looking for tips to get it starting and running the best it can be, you know that half flick of the key to start it.
Was there a leak off mod I can vaguely remember? Swapping leak off pipes? And something about buffing all the starter connections? Thanks John
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Well sorted DI

Postby jamie182 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:09 pm

the mod your talking about is simply swapping the leak off from the rear injector to the front injector to eliminate the possibility of an air lock, if it works don't fix it my mk5 starts instantly on the key and i just have it on the back injector. cleaning up the battery cables may help just give remove and hit the mating surfaces with some sand paper to clean any corrosion off. and if you haven't already got one you may want to consider getting a 2.7KW big starter IMO its better sized for the big heavy DI engine. at 9k that engine should still be like brand new i have stripped engines on 250k and the bores still have honing marks and all the bearings are in a serviceable condition.
jamie182
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Well sorted DI

Postby TPM961 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:42 pm

Cleaning up the earth lead that goes onto the starter motor made a huge difference in cranking speed. Ours starts lovely

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
1999 transit mk5 2.5di lwb camper conversion
2019 ranger wildtrak
Quantum 2+2 1.0 ecoboost project
TPM961
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits