*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 4 and mk 5 headlights

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk 4 and mk 5 headlights

Postby jamie182 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:23 pm

Is the glass interchangeable between the headlights, I have a 1992 mk4 crewbus and I'm converting the dash and front end to mk5 the doner is a mk5 torneo GLX (so rotten the suspention mount has separated!) so has power windows mirrors and all the options apart from air con I'm using the complete loom, dash and heater box.
The mk5 headlights are cloudy but have electronic load leveling so would like to keep that, I want to use the glass lenses from the mk4.
jamie182
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk 4 and mk 5 headlights

Postby Mr RVM » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:28 pm

jamie182 wrote:Is the glass interchangeable between the headlights, I have a 1992 mk4 crewbus and I'm converting the dash and front end to mk5 the doner is a mk5 torneo GLX (so rotten the suspention mount has separated!) so has power windows mirrors and all the options apart from air con I'm using the complete loom, dash and heater box.
The mk5 headlights are cloudy but have electronic load leveling so would like to keep that, I want to use the glass lenses from the mk4.

Can (has) been done..... :wink:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jamie182 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:33 pm

I will give it a go, thanks. I just didn't want to go spending hours messing around to find that there is some locating lug that's different or something along them lines.
jamie182
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Hondekop » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Is the glass interchangeable between the headlights

Dunno bout that, but replacing the lens is a pig to do. Needed 2 hours to replace one in my case (glass lens, broken by stone, that's the con of glass lenses), though you might be better of as removing all the shards does not apply in your case.

Depending on how long you'd like to keep the van, you might also consider sanding & polishing the plastic lenses. Light output of plastic lenses should be slightly better (new vs. new), though I cannot really complain about the Transit's light.

Ciao, Kai
1992 MK4 LWB van, 2.5 TD 101 HP
Hondekop
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jamie182 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:22 pm

I don't have any plan to sell it, there getting harder and harder to come by and the transit of this age unlike newer electronic infested Van's can be repaired indefinitely by the home mechanic with basic tools.
I might try to restore the plastic ones and if it doesnt go well or fades again in 6 months time I always have the glass ones.
jamie182
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits