*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Loads of white smoke on start up. Black smoke when driving.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Loads of white smoke on start up. Black smoke when driving.

Postby jimllshiftit » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:05 am

Morning all.

im guessing this is injector pump failure but i wanted your opinion before I bite the bullet and fork out for an expensive rebuild. Im running on Vegoil so im kind of factoring a pump rebuild into my costs every few years anyway but I still dont want to do it if there is an alternative.

First thing in the morning the van lets out at cataclysmic cloud of white smoke, which doesnt really stop until the engine warms up. If im standing behind the van when its running, hooking on a trailer for instance, I physically cant breathe while im doing it. After the van has been running for a while it gives out regular puffs of sooty black smoke while its driving along. My trailer has thick coat of black soot on it where its been directly behind the exhaust. The van doesnt really lack any power. Its a 2.5 'nana so it didnt have much to start with but it still drags itself uphills without much complaint.

This morning the van wont start at all, and ive just burnt out the starter motor trying to get it going, (christ im being hard on this poor servant!) so i cant really investigate anything until the new motor is here.

Thankfully I keep a spare set of injectors and injector under the bench but I will have these rebuilt before fitting them. I know that pump is iffy anyway.

Am I on the right track thinking this is the injector pump? Lift pump is 3 months old. Air filter is the same. dont think anything else has been done recently.......apart from an oil change....
jimllshiftit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Loads of white smoke on start up. Black smoke when drivi

Postby jimllshiftit » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:39 am

How has that happened? The new starters motor has apparently cured the wired smoke on start up! Overfuelling while it was being cranked over in the morning, i wonder? ...

Still got the black smoke, though....
jimllshiftit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby T*R*A*N*S*I*T » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:02 am

Mine done that till I put a few cans of seafoam in the tank well worth it
T*R*A*N*S*I*T
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jim Archer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:32 pm

White smoke was from unburnt fuel sitting in the exhaust due to insufficient cranking speed, and then burning off. A clogged fuel filter and cold thick Veg won't help.

Puffs of black smoke during driving is likely a leaky injector/pintle sticking.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jimllshiftit » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 am

Seafoam is an interesting suggestion. Might give it a whirl!

Sticking injectors are probably inevitable running on gloopy veg oil. As I mentioned, pump and injector rebuild from time to time is factored into my costs so if its not doing any harm for the time being, ill just keep slogging away in the poor thing.
jimllshiftit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:31 pm

My old Mk5 used to do the white smoke thing after startup, until I replaced the timing belt, and then it never did it again 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits