*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 5 Lucas to Bosch conversion

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk 5 Lucas to Bosch conversion

Postby Matevz » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new here and have read many answers about the bosch conversion, but i am little confused, so i want to ask some questions.

I have recently bought a Ford Transit Westfalia Nugget, 1999, 2.5 TD, 85hp, 4EA. Because nobody could fix the Lucas pump, the garage suggested replacing it with the Bosch mechanical pump. I bought the pump, they fitted it in the van, and now i belive the engine doesen’t have enough power and is much noisier then before.

As i read here, noisier engine is normal with Bosch, is this true?
Also, i read that with 85hp, when changing to Bosch, i should have fuel injectors from 100hp engine?

I would be really glad if somebody could write all the things that has to be changed, replaced or removed when replacing Lucas pump (8720B050A) with Bosch manual pump ( https://www.toughshop.de/xtcommerce/med ... ide_wm.jpg ).

Is it possible to get more power (normal power for this engine, comparable to Lucas before it went into the limp mode) ? Are there any instructions availible for how to adjust the pump?

Thank you very much for your answers in advance,
Regards,

Matevz
Transit Nugget Westfalia, 1999, 2.5 TD, 85 hp
Matevz

Re: Mk 5 Lucas to Bosch conversion

Postby twin wheel camper » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:57 pm

It’s very well covered on here if you do a search :P
You need to turn the fuelling up basically and this will then turn the idle up which you will in turn adjust back down again.
You should be able with a bit of tweaking get at least the power you had maybe even a little more but like you have noticed you will have a bit more noise from the Bosch pump.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Matevz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks for the answer.

What about injectors - can i have the same as before or do i have to put the ones from 100hp engine? Somewhere i read that originals are OK, and elsewhere it is said that for the 85hp engine with bosch conversion there should be injectors from the 100hp engine.

Thank you very much in advance!

Matevz
Matevz

Postby jamie182 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:57 pm

original injectors will be fine, as said above there are plenty of posts on here relating to conversions and pump tuning / setting up.
with the Bosch pump it will be noisier than before just the price you pay for reliability. the Bosch pump works differently to the Lucas epic that is the reason for the noise.
i have a Bosch on my TD converted Di recovery truck it has the original 70ps injectors and i would guess it is now easily making 100hp with minimal black smoke/ soot
jamie182
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Matevz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:17 am

Thank you for your answer, great!
Matevz

Postby joinerman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:11 pm

A couple of glugs of two stroke each time you fill up helps quieten it a bit.
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Matevz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 pm

Interesting, thanks!
Matevz

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:36 am

Do you know which pump was used? And how it was set-up timing wise?

If you find the mech pump conversion sticky, you will read that the mech pump needs advancing 'a bit*' from the Normally Aspirated setting to give suitable pilot timings with the TD motor. If it is advanced too far, it will be mechanically noisy - though the mechanical pump system is generally more noisy, as said. * the amount can vary from motor to motor.

85PS injectors will still give '85'PS once the fueling is tweaked to suit, and can easily manage more if you don't mind mucking about, a bit more noise, and keeping an eye on the cambelt wear - more work the pump does, the more the belt wears.

Firstly, adjust turbo wastegate at least 2-3 turns shorter - fit a boost gauge if you aren't sure - I ran 20Psi at fulll throttle on my NA conversion, though it happily ran 24, but the 70PS pump and 85PS injectors couldn't sensibly give enough fuel to warrant it. Original setting is 12Psi (0.9Bar iirc)

If no adjustments have been done to the fueling, you need to start by finding the Max fuel screw on the rear of the pump - under the idle adjuster - and turning inwards 1/4 turn at a time til you get continuous visible smoke at full throttle right through the rev range, the back out 1/4 turn to get a barely visible haze. Adjust Demand screw in the housing on top so you get a brief puff of smoke as you suddenly give it more gas - it should clear as the turbo spools up and motor starts to pull.

Given the way my SWB120 went, it was making 100+PS, and would pull to the governor in 5th (85 on speedo) pretty damn smartly, even with a decent load of bike racing kit in the back. Fuel economy was better than stock as you could squirt up to cruising speed easily, and then just maintain rather than have it buried in the carpet all the time.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Matevz » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:25 am

Hello,

This pump was used (i uploaded also the label of the previous Epic pump): https://photos.app.goo.gl/LFBZ37k3ihbSBuuy9 I am not sure if the mechanic did any set-up, i have to check with him.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I will go to the garage with this info, and see what was already done and what still needs to be adjusted.

Matevz
Matevz

Postby vanfox » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 am

It seems the mounting bracket has been ...relieved to give access to the fueling screws. It may be advantageous to tell your man to make the same alterations to you bracket?
When mounting the pump tighten the rear support bracket screws evenly to avoid stressing the pump?
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 00353theking » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:57 pm

00353theking
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Matevz » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:47 pm

Hello,

It is me again, the pump works fine, we adjusted the amount of fuel and the performance became much better.

Now i have another question, my van has air conditioner. It didnt work before, because the gas was leaking and i had to replace the comressor. Now the gas pressure is fine, AC works perfectly on idle, but when there are 1000 + rpm, the AC stops.

Is this because i have a mechanical bosch pump instead of original lucas epic pump?

Thank you in advance,
Best

Matevz
Matevz

Postby joinerman » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:44 pm

I converted mine from Epic to Bosch manual pump, I also have air con and it works fine. So looks like you have other problems
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Matevz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:03 pm

Thank you for the information,

The mechanic figured it out, he had to disconnect compressor from the previous pump electrical connections - something with the information on the number of turns (RPM). Now it works.

But, when AC is turned on, it feels like the engine loses power randomly while driving. Any ideas what could be the cause?

Thank you in advance!
Best
Matevz
Matevz

Postby Barleycorn » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:55 am

Hello,
I'm in the same boat, electric pump has become unreliable. I have a turbo diesel camper van, and have found a donor Mk5 with a mechanical pump, but it is normally aspirated. Will I have to get the pump fuelled up to use in the turbo situation?
Barleycorn

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits