*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cold Heater

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Cold Heater

Postby Abcd123 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi , the heater in my 2000 Transit only stays WARM Afro a few minutes when turned on, after that it’s blowing cold air even on speed 1. The heater wasn’t working for a few year until recently when I changed the motor and resistor. I have changed the thermostat with a new one also. Finally I flushed out the heater pipes and some dirt did come out. When I tried a reverse flush the water just wasn’t going through and kept coming back up. Is there anything else I could try?
Abcd123
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Cold Heater

Postby vanfox » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:53 pm

Leave the pressure cap on filler tank. Disconnect the heater hose from the cyl. head. Check head water outlet is clear. Attach pressure/garden hose to cyl head and turn on water. Water should come out of the heater hose, collect in bucket to check for dirt. Reverse connections, hose to heater hose, need a bit of pipe, turn on garden/pressure hose, water should come out of cyl head, again collect in bucket to check for dirt. If no flow suspect heater matrix is properly blocked.

The heater matrix is part of the engine cooling system, is always at engine temp. The heater is air mix by flaps.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 00353theking » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:14 pm

Disconnect the 2 pipes from the heater matrix assad get a pressure washer and connect it to one of the pipes and put a jublee clamp on it to stop it coming off then turn it on and watch the brown water come out ,
Once it is clear water coming put it back together and there will be red hot heat coming

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
00353theking
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Abcd123 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 am

vanfox wrote:Leave the pressure cap on filler tank. Disconnect the heater hose from the cyl. head. Check head water outlet is clear. Attach pressure/garden hose to cyl head and turn on water. Water should come out of the heater hose, collect in bucket to check for dirt. Reverse connections, hose to heater hose, need a bit of pipe, turn on garden/pressure hose, water should come out of cyl head, again collect in bucket to check for dirt. If no flow suspect heater matrix is properly blocked.

The heater matrix is part of the engine cooling system, is always at engine temp. The heater is air mix by flaps.

Please could you point me in the right direction as to which heater hose. I am not too sure where the cylinder head is. Is it the one near the lower right of the alternator or the hose beneath and slightly to the right of the thermostat. Thanks
Abcd123
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Abcd123 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 am

00353theking wrote:Disconnect the 2 pipes from the heater matrix assad get a pressure washer and connect it to one of the pipes and put a jublee clamp on it to stop it coming off then turn it on and watch the brown water come out ,
Once it is clear water coming put it back together and there will be red hot heat coming

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi. Thanks for your replies. How can I get to these 2 pipes?
Abcd123
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Abcd123 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:15 pm

Hi does anyone know how to remove the heater pipes. I’ve tried to push the plastic white tab in but still struggling to remove the pipes.
Abcd123
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gotgcoalman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:22 pm

Vanfox suggested the jubilee clipped hose at the front of the engine.

Top right hand side just below and to the right of the thermostat housing.

It's the one that runs around the side of the rocker box cover. :D

looks like a long black rubber snake.

Don't wear your good frock whilst doing this though :idea:
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits