*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rain trickle down problem?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Rain trickle down problem?

Postby npjrogers » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:20 am

Has anyone found a cure for the front edge of front doors rain trickle down to the step?
Is there a replacement rubber section which allows trickle down but prevents seepage into the step area?
How do other makes solve the problem?
So sad to discover the problem on our nearly pristine Camero Campervan.
npjrogers
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Rain trickle down problem?

Postby vanfox » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:49 pm

The water in the step is probably coming from under the bonnet and dribbling down the inner wing to the step. Take ALL the carpets and plastic liners off the wing, floor and step then look inside the bonnet for leaks from the scuttle. Be prepared for rust!! Got pics if you want them.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Noctule » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:22 am

+1

Check behind your starter battery, and leisure battery if fitted, where the bulkhead meets the wheel arch. As mentioned water gets in from the scuttle screws, drops onto the batteries, and as well as running down into the steps it also rots out the battery tray and, after soaking into the bulkhead soundproofing, may even take out the inner wheel arch, just in front of the shock turrets.

If you have a fibreglass roof it's also worth checking the state of the sealant in the gutters above the doors. Our 'cube suffered sealant shrinkage which has allowed water in which has rotted holes in the body above the door, but which has also then ran down into the wings and footwells causing the same issues as water ingress from the scuttle.

Mat
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby npjrogers » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:24 pm

A1C345C9-A0FA-4DCF-B6A5-8C75A1B571F2.jpeg

Thanks for your suggestions... much appreciated I will check them out. The way that the flange of the door trim has rusted seems to suggest that the water is migrating down along the door trim.. here is a picture.. what do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sic Transit Gloria
npjrogers
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby joinerman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:12 pm

Pm me your email addy and i will send you some pics and details of what i have done which works well, can't seem to get pics on here anymore.
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby joinerman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:25 pm

IMG_1433 Transit gutter.JPG
IMG_1433 Transit gutter.JPG

What i did was cut down a length of electrical conduit in a J section when you look end on, painted it to colour of your choice, inject some silicone ( clear ) under the surround rubber and slip the long side of the J under the rubber into the silicone, smooth anything that oozes out and leave to cure, job done.

BTW i sussed out how to get piccies on here again, Hopefully, LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby npjrogers » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:17 pm

An absolutely brilliant response.. many thanks.. you have joined my hall of fame!
Lots of smiley owners and the smileys themselves will be very grateful. Your post should be copied into the other mk5 forums and made sticky.. Thanks from Belfast in N Ireland
Nick Rogers
Sic Transit Gloria
npjrogers
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby weseeyou » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:46 am

the reason that water leaks into the footwell is not readily apparent but if you pull the rubber door seal off after a rain shower or washing the van you'll see where it is coming from

The video I made some years ago shows exactly where the water gets into the footwell . (see link below)

The A post channel is an excellent method of preventing rainwater access via the door seal rubber .If you do not wish to fit a A post channel then another good solution when replacing the door seal rubber strip it would help to fill the channel of the seal with silicon which will prevent the water getting behind the rubber seal

Water can also get into the footwell from the windscreen to scuttle juncture . Once the floor carpet and trims have been removed you can follow the rust and water stain marks to see where it is gaining access..If the water in the footwell is inboard at the back of the footwell then it is coming in along the scuttle not the door seal

Another place where water can get into the footwell is via the windscreen rubber seal adjacent to the roof gutter. If you peel back the windscreen seal next to the gutter you'll see where water can run down behind the windscreen seal between the rubber seal and A post and exit under the dashboard onto the floor near the accelerator pedal where it then runs into the footwell (see last part of video )

https://youtu.be/d3X2zlsvMbE
weseeyou
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits