*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2,5 TD Bosch Conversion or engine swap to Banana?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

2,5 TD Bosch Conversion or engine swap to Banana?

Postby matthias » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi,

have already read a lot about the Bosch conversion, but also about some trouble with that.

My van is a 97 2,5 TD, 85 PS with the common EPIC-problem, which I can`t get fixed and I also see not to much sense to invest anything more on time and money in that endless story.

So I`m thinking (again) about a Bosch conversion, the pump I could take from my 95 High Cube with Banana 76 PS.
It`s the Bosch No. 460 414 108
20191001_143555.jpg

20191001_143601.jpg

Does anybody know if that is a suitable pump for the Turboengine (I only read about other pumps, not that one) and will it give not to many problems?

Or should I swap my Turboengine to the N/A Banana as a whole unit?

My Turbo has done nearly 400000 km (290000 mls) and did run very well, the Banana did around 100000 mls.

I have another 97 van with the Turboengine, but also with an EPIC-problem, so I´m a bit "cured" with that engine or pump.

Thanks!

Matthias
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matthias
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2,5 TD Bosch Conversion or engine swap to Banana?

Postby twin wheel camper » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:00 pm

That pump will do fine :P
And definitely don’t put a n.a banana Di in it would depress you all day long with no power.
Any Bosch pump will work just some people say a 145 or a 146 works best but believe me any working pump will work just fine.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:23 am

There is nothing to stop you fitting all the turbo ancillaries to your 'Nana engine. If you don't go mad with the fuelling you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, plus there is no mucking about with pump timing to contend with.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby matthias » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:08 pm

Jim Archer wrote:There is nothing to stop you fitting all the turbo ancillaries to your 'Nana engine. If you don't go mad with the fuelling you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, plus there is no mucking about with pump timing to contend with.

Jim

Thanks for that!
But the question is if I should use the Inj.Pump from the Banana engine for the 85 PS Turbo or swap the compelte Banana against the Turbo to avoid to much problems with the "tuning" of the pump for the Turbo engine.

twin wheel camper wrote:That pump will do fine :P
And definitely don’t put a n.a banana Di in it would depress you all day long with no power.
Any Bosch pump will work just some people say a 145 or a 146 works best but believe me any working pump will work just fine.

Also thanks for that!
That sounds for me as an easy job, but as I read from some problems with that combination of a Turbo with the mech. Bosch pump I`m a bit unsure what`s best.

Kind Regards,

Matthias
matthias
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ColinJack » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:11 pm

I converted my turbo di to Bosch. Magic. Do it and put the old pump on eBay - I got over £100 for mine.
1990 Mk3 Reimo Camper
1980 Mk2 Holdsworth Camper
I don't regret growing old - it is a privilege denied to many.
The Journey is the Reward. (Chinese Proverb)
ColinJack
MK3 Massive

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:40 am

If you feel the 'Nana engine is the better of the 2, it is a simple matter of just swapping the TD intake and exhaust systems, and injectors over to the 'Nana lump, and then adjusting/tuning the pump to suit the additional airflow.

A new timing belt and coolant pump won't hurt whilst you're at it.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby vanfox » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:25 pm

.....and the turbo oil return pipe.........
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ColinJack » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Jim Archer wrote:If you feel the 'Nana engine is the better of the 2, it is a simple matter of just swapping the TD intake and exhaust systems, and injectors over to the 'Nana lump, and then adjusting/tuning the pump to suit the additional airflow.

Jim
Unless the 'nana is a much better engine (lower mileage etc.) than the current installed TDi it is much easier to just change the pump rather than swap the engine!
1990 Mk3 Reimo Camper
ColinJack
MK3 Massive

Postby twin wheel camper » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:23 pm

ColinJack wrote:
Jim Archer wrote:If you feel the 'Nana engine is the better of the 2, it is a simple matter of just swapping the TD intake and exhaust systems, and injectors over to the 'Nana lump, and then adjusting/tuning the pump to suit the additional airflow.

Jim
Unless the 'nana is a much better engine (lower mileage etc.) than the current installed TDi it is much easier to just change the pump rather than swap the engine!

He did state that the turbo engine has 290000 miles and the banana has 100000 so only one third the mileage but I wouldn’t worry about mileage if it’s being looked after serviced it’s probably fine even with the higher mileage.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ColinJack » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:49 am

twin wheel camper wrote:He did state that the turbo engine has 290000 miles and the banana has 100000 so only one third the mileage but I wouldn’t worry about mileage if it’s being looked after serviced it’s probably fine even with the higher mileage.
True, but he did say the TD was still sweet. Changing the pump is so straight forward that would be my first option. Keep the 'nana as a spare and if the TD fails in the future then do the swap and take the turbo kit over (inc the sump :) ).
1990 Mk3 Reimo Camper
ColinJack
MK3 Massive

Postby matthias » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:53 pm

Jim[/quote]Unless the 'nana is a much better engine (lower mileage etc.) than the current installed TDi it is much easier to just change the pump rather than swap the engine![/quote]

That`s the main reason for my post: What`s easier, changing the complete Turbo engine to the Banana and have a combination which will work (I drove that engine in a High Cube and was fine) or fit the pump of the banana to the turbo, which is of course easier done than an engine swap, but maybe with some trouble and endless testing.

ColinJack wrote:
twin wheel camper wrote:He did state that the turbo engine has 290000 miles and the banana has 100000 so only one third the mileage but I wouldn’t worry about mileage if it’s being looked after serviced it’s probably fine even with the higher mileage.
True, but he did say the TD was still sweet. Changing the pump is so straight forward that would be my first option. Keep the 'nana as a spare and if the TD fails in the future then do the swap and take the turbo kit over (inc the sump :) ).

Yes, the Turboe, albeit 290000 mls, still ran very nicely and economic until the engine light.....
And just in case, I not only have that banana engine, I also have another Turbo with a quite bad car around it....and engine light in...

THNAKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT!

Think I`ll try the Bosch pump conversion and take all the bits from the High Cube Van and it`s Banana engine, incl. the pipes and the throttle pedal.

Matthias
matthias
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jay » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:58 pm

dont forget the throttle cable and the clip on the engine side,this is often forgotten about..to wire is easy ignition feed to the stop solenoid and thats it really, also if u dont adjust the fuelling it will run fine,but up the fuelling a little and the van will really fly..well fly as well as a mk5 will go.. up boost pressure on the turbo if you wanted but beware on going to made as the van will just smoke badly..
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits