*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Replace a perfectly fine head gasket?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Replace a perfectly fine head gasket?

Postby Kjeles » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Does it make sense to replace a non-leaking head gasket?

Instead of taking the head off, I took the engine out of a Mk3 1987 petrol to replace the cam shaft after recommendations on this forum and since I had to take out the gearbox anyway.

The engine has gone 160,000 km (100,000 miles). Nothing appears to have been done to it since it was new. The head cover gasket was leaking (hard and brittle), and the exhaust manifold gasket was leaking (broken studs).

With the engine out, it seems easy enough to take off the head anyway to replace the head gasket and to check valves before they start to leak?

What are the chances that a 30-year-old head gasket might bust in the near future?

What would you have done?
Kjeles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Replace a perfectly fine head gasket?

Postby Arca_MK2 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:29 am

I don´t know if the gasket will bust in the near future. But it makes sense to replace the gasket once the engine is out of the vehicle.

It is a technical part, which is exposed to very high loads. You never know how much longer it will last. It could be another 100 000 miles, but it also could be just 100 miles.

I would change it.
If you see the tree you will hit, it is called an understeer.
If you just hear and feel the impact, it is called oversteer.
(Walter Roehrl)
Arca_MK2
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gotgcoalman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Kjeles wrote:Does it make sense to replace a non-leaking head gasket?

None whatsoever.

Instead of taking the head off, I took the engine out of a Mk3 1987 petrol to replace the cam shaft after recommendations on this forum and since I had to take out the gearbox anyway.

saves having to do the head gasket 8)

The engine has gone 160,000 km (100,000 miles). Nothing appears to have been done to it since it was new. The head cover gasket was leaking (hard and brittle), and the exhaust manifold gasket was leaking (broken studs).

probably good for another 100,000 miles then :D

With the engine out, it seems easy enough to take off the head anyway to replace the head gasket and to check valves before they start to leak?

If you take the head off check if you need a spline or torx set for the bolts :idea:

What are the chances that a 30-year-old head gasket might bust in the near future?

How longs a piece of string? New gasket could fail a month after fitting. :wink:

If it ain't broke :idea:
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby twin wheel camper » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:10 pm

gotgcoalman wrote:
Kjeles wrote:Does it make sense to replace a non-leaking head gasket?

None whatsoever.

saves having to do the head gasket 8)

probably good for another 100,000 miles then :D

If you take the head off check if you need a spline or torx set for the bolts :idea:

How longs a piece of string? New gasket could fail a month after fitting. :wink:

If it ain't broke :idea:

My thoughts exactly 8)
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Chug » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:51 am

Easy enough to do when the engine is out and then you have peace of mind, rather than finding yourself having to do it at a less convenient time.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby madmart132 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:13 pm

Chances are that it's not the original head gasket anyway as doubtful that the valve seats would have taken 100k on unleaded fuel . If you have the knowledge take the head off lap the valves in and replace the valve seals decoke the head and possibly change the valve springs it will make it seem like a new engine
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Abcd123 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:06 am

I would change it, less headache in the future.
Abcd123
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits