*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1994 Mk4 Injection Pump Cam Position Sensor Fail

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

1994 Mk4 Injection Pump Cam Position Sensor Fail

Postby MikeyL » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:55 pm

Hello
My father-in- laws 1994 Mk4 fitted with 2.5 Turbo engine has failed and gone into limp mode in Portugal. With the help of the forum I have managed to narrow the failure down to the Injection Pump Cam Position Sensor. ECU failure codes are 44 & 62.
I have checked the wiring right through to the ECU and have good continuity. I have done resistance checks on all sensors and found that the Cam Position Sensor connections at the ECU plug pins 18 to 19 are low reading 2.2 ohm as opposed to the specification of 50-75 ohm. All other readings are correct and in spec.
My question is, can I remove and either clean or replace the sensor easily enough? Is there anything I need to be aware of before removing the sensor? Is there any specific procedure or calibration required when refitting?
I have looked through the forum but cannot find anything specific and do not want to blindly remove the sensor.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Wishing all the best for New Year. :D
MikeyL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 1994 Mk4 Injection Pump Cam Position Sensor Fail

Postby Chug » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:55 pm

Is it error code 1174?
I looked in the two pdf's I have for the epic pump and cannot see any 44 & 62 codes, but I did see the resistance value for the cam sensor which says min 45, max 55
I would have thought the sensor can be removed without affecting anything as long as the ignition is off.

epic ohm.PNG

epic cam.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MikeyL » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Hello Chuggy
The codes have been acquired using the paper clip method and flashing engine management light, not with a Lucas reader and the codes match details posted on the forum for this vehicle. I have checked them a few times and definitely 44 & 62

44 - Injection pump cam ring position sensor - open/short circuit
62 - Injection pump cam ring position sensor

This is what has pointed me to check the cam position sensor.
With the sensor reading being low at 2.2 ohm its indicating as going short circuit.
I just didn't want to remove and find that there was something critical to align or calibrate if I simply clean or replace the assembly.
Thanks for your prompt response and Happy New Year.
MikeyL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chug » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:47 pm

ah the paper clip method I'm with ya now, if your resistance reading is correct then lets hope you have found the problem :D
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MikeyL » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Good morning and first my best wishes and Happy New Year for 2020 to all forumistas. :D
No rest for the wicked if want to get the in laws moving on!
I have removed the cam position sensor this morning and there is no signs of physical damage. The resistance is reading 2.2 ohm at ambient temperature. I have applied gentle heat to the sensor while monitoring the resistance and the meter reading is virtually 0 ohms - basically short circuit - across pins 18 & 19.
I now need to try and find a replacement item when the motor factors here in Portugal open tomorrow.
Anyone have any idea who is the manufacturer of this part? The part number details on the device is 7186-010 6 - see attached photo. Any advice or assistance is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MikeyL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chug » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:20 pm

I would try a local diesel injection place, or

Tim, (dieselhead123) may possibly be able to help send him a message, or give him a ring.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=42705
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: 1994 Mk4 Injection Pump Cam Position Sensor Fail - FIXED

Postby MikeyL » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:02 am

I originally posted in December 2019 regarding an issue with my father-in-laws camper van having a suspected issue with the cam position sensor on a Lucas Epic injector pump. Anyhow, as I could not repair here in Portugal he drove back to the UK in limp mode, with a clear fault diagnosis to attempt to repair in the UK. 9 months on and lo and behold he has driven all the way back to Portugal in his van, with it still in limp mode (go figure). I have been looking for a Bosch pump to replace the Lucas Epic, but so far no luck here in Portugal (I can get in the UK and ship if necessary). While waiting, I thought f..k it, I'm going to remove the sensor and have a go at fixing the sensor. After carefully and patiently removing all the epoxy then disassembling the internal circuit board and wiring, I have actually managed to repair the sensor, clear the fault and the van is actually running. :-)

Initially there was a virtual short circuit across the terminals of the cam sensor. As I desoldered and slowly lifted the circuit board and wiring out of the housing and while monitoring the resistance across the cam position sensor, the short circuit has vanished and the reading increased to 58 ohm. On further visual inspection, it was seen that the connecting wires have damage to the insulation. I am unsure if this has been done during the disassembly process or if this may have been the cause of the fault. It could have simply been moisture or other contamination creating the issue. I have visually inspected the sensor assembly, heat tested and can find no other issue with what is a small connection pcb, a wound coil assembly for the cam sensor and a small thermistor for the temperature sensor. These are held in place with 2 x M2.5 screws inside the metal housing and then sealed with epoxy. There is a small 'O' ring on the coil former to prevent ingress of diesel. This was duly replaced with a new seal to ensure the integrity was maintained

Unfortunately during the disassembly I have damaged the very thin wires on the temperature sensor. After a bit of further follow up, I have managed to calculate the range of the thermistor and its resistance values at two temperatures and procured a replacement thermistor at a cost of Euro 3.38.

I have made good all the repairs, heat tested and re-installed the unit successfully. I have opted to not epoxy the sensor so that I can easily check in the event of any further issue. I have manufactured a small cover with a gasket and fixed the cover to the assembly using 2 x M2.5 screws and appropriately sized nylon spacers. The total cost for parts was Euro 6.34 from the excellent company Farnell who posted from the UK to Portugal, arriving in less than 48 hours from when the order was placed.

If anyone is curious to what the internals of this sensor assembly are, see attached photos. Its basically a number of coils wound on a former, a thermistor and small circuit board to connect the coil and thermistor to the wires.

I may replace the Lucas Epic pump with Bosch pump in the future, but at least in the meantime the vehicle is running as it should and importantly the in-laws are happy :D .
Thanks for all the assistance from the members on this excellent forum as without the information available I may never have identified the fault actually being the cam position sensor. :D
MikeyL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby angusp » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:11 am

Great to hear the knowledge & information people can bring. No garage would want to work all that out & who knows how much it would cost if they did. Glad to hear you got your in-laws back on the road & thanks for providing the answer to the question.
2000 mk5 100 swb, going.
2005 mk6 350 lwb, not going.
2005 mk6 280 lwb, gone bang.
1996 mk5 190 lwb, gone.
1998 mk5 80 swb, gone.
angusp
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits