*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuelpump issue

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Fuelpump issue

Postby Ashgard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:01 pm

Hi
I'm having some issues with the fuel pump. A diesel expert is now looking at it, but I have some concerns. It seems that this pump is no longer being sold, not even parts of it. So if there appears something to be broken, there's a big change it cannot be fixed. Here are my questions:
- Do you know a place where they sell such pump or parts?
- I heard it is possible to replace it by a mechanical pump. Do you consider that as a solution? Would it work ok? What exactly do I need for this?

And here's some more information about my van:
- Transit 2.5 Di Turbo
- Bus, Diesel, 2.496cc, 63kW, RWD,
- Date: april 1998
- Fuelpump: dsa1190

Thanks Ashgard
Ashgard
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Fuelpump issue

Postby Altransit » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:07 pm

Unless the van has an autobox, it can be easily converted to a Bosch mechanical pump, but you will need a few other parts to do the conversion.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Ashgard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:05 pm

Altransit wrote:Unless the van has an autobox, it can be easily converted to a Bosch mechanical pump, but you will need a few other parts to do the conversion.

My knowledge is limited. Do you have more details on the parts I need?
Do you by coincidence know how much it would cost (approximately)?
And do you know how well it will work (compared to a properly functional electrical version?)

Thanks
Ashgard
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby joinerman » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:55 pm

Ashgard wrote:
Altransit wrote:Unless the van has an autobox, it can be easily converted to a Bosch mechanical pump, but you will need a few other parts to do the conversion.

My knowledge is limited. Do you have more details on the parts I need?
Do you by coincidence know how much it would cost (approximately)?
And do you know how well it will work (compared to a properly functional electrical version?)

Thanks

In a word, BETTER

Do a search on here for manual pump conversion, there's masses of info.
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jamie182 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:43 am

the parts you need for the manual pump swap are:
Bosch pump from a 2.5Di transit 1996-1999 there are a few different types but the ones between these years seem to be best suited
accelerator pedal, throttle cable and bracket
fuel lines from fuel filter housing to Injection pump (not essential as can be made up from various pipe fittings ect. but will save a lot of hassle if you just get the correct ones).

There are some drawbacks, the Bosch pump is noisier in operation due to the design of the pump also some features of the immobilizer will be most likely lost in the swap.
in my opinion the pros far out way the cons, the Bosch pump is far more reliable can be repaired at any diesel center if it ever did go wrong. also will run on straight vegetable oil as many people on here do.
as for the cost for parts maybe £150-200 (used parts) and for the labour £200 should cover it most garages would most likely recommend timing belt and water pump at the same time if its unknown when it was last done.
jamie182
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ashgard » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:54 am

jamie182 wrote:the parts you need for the manual pump swap are:
Bosch pump from a 2.5Di transit 1996-1999 there are a few different types but the ones between these years seem to be best suited
accelerator pedal, throttle cable and bracket
fuel lines from fuel filter housing to Injection pump (not essential as can be made up from various pipe fittings ect. but will save a lot of hassle if you just get the correct ones).

There are some drawbacks, the Bosch pump is noisier in operation due to the design of the pump also some features of the immobilizer will be most likely lost in the swap.
in my opinion the pros far out way the cons, the Bosch pump is far more reliable can be repaired at any diesel center if it ever did go wrong. also will run on straight vegetable oil as many people on here do.
as for the cost for parts maybe £150-200 (used parts) and for the labour £200 should cover it most garages would most likely recommend timing belt and water pump at the same time if its unknown when it was last done.

Thanks for that!

Still some questions though:
- My garage thinks the timing belt (in dutch distributieriem) should be replaced also. Is that true? What do I need?
- There's a lot of topic on the pump conversion on this forum. But I haven't found the one that I can use as a tutorial. WIth all the parts needed and how it can be replaced. Can someone share me a link with that tutorial

Some other options to continue with this might be:
- Is there anyone who has a MKX that originally has a mechanical pump? If you an share your number plate with me, then my garage can see which parts are needed?
- From what I can see is that https://www.transitcenter.nl/transit-1991-1994-c-4.html has all parts needed. Can someone help me point out the parts I need?
Ashgard
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jamie182 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:29 pm

yes if you don't know the history of the timing belt it should be replaced along with the tensioner (ford part number 1136426)and the water pump (ford part number 1518123)
the fuel pipes you will need are the top ones on this diagram http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... I3Mg%3D%3D
items 6 and 8 (ford part number inlet 1050997 return 1050996)
the pedal you need is (ford part number 7045252 if your van is LHD)
item 1 on this diagram http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... NzcwKzA%3D
the throttle cable is (ford part number 7045221 if LHD) item number 1 you also need the bracket that holds the cable to the intermediate plate item 4 (ford part number 6152622) and the retaining clip item 14 (ford part number 6755139) http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... OTI4KzA%3D
as well as all this you will ofc need the injection pump.
i will try find the guide. and send a link
jamie182
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ashgard » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:32 am

jamie182 wrote:yes if you don't know the history of the timing belt it should be replaced along with the tensioner (ford part number 1136426)and the water pump (ford part number 1518123)
the fuel pipes you will need are the top ones on this diagram http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... I3Mg%3D%3D
items 6 and 8 (ford part number inlet 1050997 return 1050996)
the pedal you need is (ford part number 7045252 if your van is LHD)
item 1 on this diagram http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... NzcwKzA%3D
the throttle cable is (ford part number 7045221 if LHD) item number 1 you also need the bracket that holds the cable to the intermediate plate item 4 (ford part number 6152622) and the retaining clip item 14 (ford part number 6755139) http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... OTI4KzA%3D
as well as all this you will ofc need the injection pump.
i will try find the guide. and send a link

Thanks! That is very useful information. It would be great if you can find and send met a link to the guide.

Question about the performance:
I have a 2.5 TD 85hp motor. I found a Bosch pump and the description says its for a 2.5 D 70hp motor. Will it work with my motor? What will it do with the performance? Is it possible to keep the 85hp, or even better increase it?
Ashgard
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jamie182 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:31 pm

you should end up with around 100HP easily without black smoking excessively. any garage that knows there way around an older diesel engine would have no problem at all with the conversion. unfortunately i haven't been able to find the guide
jamie182
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanfox » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:01 pm

If you were to tell us where you are, or your post code if in the UK, one of us may live around the corner and may assist you since a lot of us currently have nowt to do..........
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Ashgard » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:50 pm

vanfox wrote:If you were to tell us where you are, or your post code if in the UK, one of us may live around the corner and may assist you since a lot of us currently have nowt to do..........

Unfortunately I live in the Netherlands, Leiden. Not sure if there's anyone around here who is familiar with this. Perhaps we can do something by phone? or send me information by pm?

jamie182 wrote:you should end up with around 100HP easily without black smoking excessively. any garage that knows there way around an older diesel engine would have no problem at all with the conversion. unfortunately i haven't been able to find the guide

Ok, that would be great :D
Ashgard
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits