*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK3 (1988) won't start

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK3 (1988) won't start

Postby SnarfSnarf » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Hi Guys,

New to this forum, just made an account for this question. I've searched all over the internet, but couldn't get my answer.

The problem is that my MK3 won't start. I've fully charged the battery, so that shouldn't be the problem.

All the electronics are working, and never had problems before with the starter. I hear a click once I turn the key, so my guess is the starting relay needs replacement.

My question is; which of the relays in the relay/fuse box, is the starting relay?

I did find the fuse box index (attached to this post), but it doesn't mention it there either.

Your help would be much appreciated, thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SnarfSnarf

Re: MK3 (1988) won't start

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:15 pm

SnarfSnarf wrote:Hi Guys,

New to this forum, just made an account for this question. I've searched all over the internet, but couldn't get my answer.

The problem is that my MK3 won't start. I've fully charged the battery, so that shouldn't be the problem.

All the electronics are working, and never had problems before with the starter. I hear a click once I turn the key, so my guess is the starting relay needs replacement.

My question is; which of the relays in the relay/fuse box, is the starting relay?

I did find the fuse box index (attached to this post), but it doesn't mention it there either.

Your help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Do you not think people would need to know what van your talking about?
Is it petrol or diesel?
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby SnarfSnarf » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:30 pm

Ah, my apologies.

It is a transit 100d Campervan, Diesel engine. Mk3 from 1988. I’m not exactly sure what the model type is.
SnarfSnarf

Postby Kjeles » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:32 pm

If your starter motor makes a click, but does not turn, I suspect you have worn brushes in the starter motor. The starter solenoid kicks in, but the motor doesn't get the voltage needed to turn due to poor contact between the brushes and the commutator.

Some say you can tap the starter a bit in the back (or 'front' actually, relative to the van – where the brushes are located) with a hammer. If you are lucky, this might give just enough contact to make the starter run.

If the brushes are not worn, it might help to clean the carbon and copper dust inside of the starter.

I assume you have made sure that the cable between the battery and the starter as well as the battery's grounding have good contacts.

Starter.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kjeles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jamie182 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:29 pm

transits of this age may have had a start inhibitor relay in the engine bay its attached to the right hand side battery tray might be worth checking the pins on the plug for corrosion.
20171027_141430.jpg
jamie182
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SnarfSnarf » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:23 am

Ok thanks for your replies. I will check and try this. :D
SnarfSnarf

Postby Kjeles » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:10 pm

Please tell us what the solutions was, so we can learn from your experience. :D
Kjeles
Transit Aficionado