*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lucas Epic Timing

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Lucas Epic Timing

Postby tonys681 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:24 am

Please forgive my ignorance but my 1997 4eb transit motorhome is currently under repair for low power. I have been told that the timing is set at 2 degrees before TDC but when the Lucas 2000 diagnostic tool is used it is not possible to vary this setting.Am i correct in assuming that this requirement for the advancement to be adjustable is because it is allowing for increased speed. I assume this would be similar to vacuum advancement on old style carburettes. If this is correct can someone please tell me how this is achieved by the epic pump. Where would the pump get its information from and by what means within the pump would it achieve this ?. I would appreciate any help that is available.
tonys681
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Lucas Epic Timing

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:33 am

The timing is set by adjusting the pulley on the front of the injection pump - behind the cambelt cover
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby tonys681 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:51 pm

Yes that is what i thought occurred, I assume that 2 degrees BTDC is the correct setting for the engine. The repair centre keep telling me that they cannot fine adjust that setting with the system reader and that this could be the cause of my lack of power (see my previous post from a week ago regarding Low Power) I have already purchased reconditioned Epic Pump which they blamed for lack of power. Am i correct in assuming that timing will automatically advance when engine speed increasesn
tonys681
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:57 pm

The ECU compare the injection pump timing with the crankshaft timing. It has a tolerance of +- 2 degrees.

What diagnostic equipment have they used? Is the engine management lamp on? What are the symptoms?

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby tonys681 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:36 pm

engine light does not come on. I believe they initially used Delphi diagnostic tool first and then sent to sydney to get a lucas 2000 reader. The symptoms of the problem were lack of power when accelerating. The engine would not exceed 3000 revs and turbo pressure was between 2 and 4 PSI. They say that timing caused this to happen.Not being a diesel mechanic i am at their mercy.
tonys681
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:52 am

if the lights not on (and its not working) then the timing is fine.

Did they do the basics like changing the filters?

There is nothing in the engine management (at least not that I have ever encountered) which gives a rev limit. Even with the worst faults I can induce it will eventually get the revs up (in neutral at least).

Does it smoke?
Does it run on when you switch it off?
Did they check for corrosion/backed off pins in the pump connector

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kyzza » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:04 pm

Just wanted to add my two cents here, I had a similar issue last year. My Transit wouldn't rev any higher than 3000rpm and I was unable to drive more than 40km/h. Check engine light was intermittent, sometimes it would be on when the Transit started, othertimes it wouldnt. The vehicle struggled to idle and I felt at a loss.

The problem ended up being a damaged wire between the Lucas Injection pump and the ECU, so easy to overlook as I was looking for a mechanical fault.
Proud owner of multiple transits!
Campervan: 2000 Transit VG MK5 - 2.5 Di -85ps - Auto - LWB
Cab Chassis: 1999 Transit VG Mk5 - 2.5 Di - 100ps - Manual - LWB
"Spare Parts Van" 1997 Transit VG Mk5 - 2.5 Di - 100ps - Manual - SWB
Kyzza
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby tonys681 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:59 pm

How on earth did you analyse and fix that fault
tonys681
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby tonys681 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:18 am

Was notified today that second diesel repair centre cannot fix my problem (cost $1330AUS) total spent with both repair centres including refurbished epic pump
is now ($3310AUS) approx (1800 pounds) and vehicle has not been fixed. (my wife says burn it) I would appreciate suggestion to fix this engine
tonys681
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby tonys681 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:28 pm

Finally got my 1997 transit fixed, had it flat towed from 2nd repair centre to another repairer who finally knew what he was doing, The code which the 2nd repairer did not have a clue about was 1178. Third repairer was brilliant (Precision Auto in Sydney), within a few hours of receiving the vehicle he had it diagnosed and fixed. The fault was the timing belt had been one cog out (repairer 2 had supposedly checked the timing 3 times and did not see this) not only this but when repairer 3 pulled the timing cover off, the flange that normally sits behind the bolts holding the fuel pump to the drive sprocket had in fact been put behind the drive sprocket. This repairer (precision auto) also noted that the radiator cowling was broken and replaced it with an unbroken one at no charge. I would like to thank all forum members that assisted me in this expensive exercise.
tonys681
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits