*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

LOST KEY!! 1997 mk5 2lt Turbo Diesel Ford Transit

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

LOST KEY!! 1997 mk5 2lt Turbo Diesel Ford Transit

Postby NzTranny » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:35 am

Hi all!,
Ok I'm that guy, the person who had one key and now its gone :cry: spent most part of today searching the area where we think it must have fallen out of a pocket, been to the police station to see if its been handed it but no joy.

So I've talked to the local ford dealer who referred me to a locksmith whos quoted $800 +gst as he said it will require 3 keys to be programmed into the PATS system, which I'm not at all keen to pay that much as its just a hobby van and nearing the end of its life rust wise so I don't want to spend that and then have it fail the next warrant of fitness.
So I then asked the dealer if they could somehow by pass the immobilizer which led me down the worm hole of ringing this person and that, but basically being told that I could bypass it only if I have the older mechanical type fuel injector pump not the electric pump that's currently installed... is this correct? does anyone know how I could bypass this PATS immobilizer?

I appreciate the fact that you might not want to advertise how its done publicly so please feel free to pm me... obviously happy to show proof of ownership etc :lol:

But basically my plan is to cheap skate my way through this problem by removing a door look and taking it in to get a key matched, then hopefully being able to disable the immobilizer and just using a key without a chip to avoid the ridiculous $800+ fee for a old lemon :lol:
or maybe I could get a second hand ignition barrel with the key to match, would that work?
If I sound clueless its because I am :)

All help is very much appreciated.

Thank you!
NzTranny

Re: LOST KEY!! 1997 mk5 2lt Turbo Diesel Ford Transit

Postby NzTranny » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:28 am

[img]
IMG_20201027_170019.jpg
[/img]
[img]
IMG_20201027_102701.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NzTranny

Postby NzTranny » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:40 am

Update is I have taken the door lock into the lock Smith's and had them make a key to fit, so I now have a key that works in the ignition but PATS won't allow it to do much more than turn in the lock. Please lmk if a bypass is possible on this model otherwise I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the $800+
Cheers Johnny
NzTranny

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:14 am

No, its not possible to bypass the PATS using simple methods (apart from a period of manufacture of about 3 months - which yours might just fall in too) - but there are ways to get you up and running cheaper (might take a while though because afaik I'm the only one that knows what to do and it involves parts.

You can take the Lucas EPIC off, and fit a bosch pump - but as I understand it those parts are rather thin on the ground over there?

There is a blue spot on the pump in your picture - which tells me its a 100PS with manual gearbox?
Do you have aircon or not?

If you take the cubby out of the top of the dash, you can see a sticker on the ECU - does it start 95VB, 97VB or 98VB, and can you see anything (hand) written in the little box next to the part number?

Below the ECU, in the metal cage is the PATS module, can you see the part number on that - or at the very least the colour of the part number label?

Where is the immobiliser LED, is it in the dash or the headlining?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby NzTranny » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:05 pm

Thank you Sir!
Yes I would rather avoid the process of having to change the pump over if I can avoid it.

Yep you are spot on with it being a gearbox/manual and no air-conditioning, you clearly know what side your bread is buttered :lol:
IMG_20201029_105256.jpg

[img]
IMG_20201029_105256.jpg
[/img]

P.s I really do appreciate your help, and hope you will allow me to shout you a box of beers or something for this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NzTranny

Postby NzTranny » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:52 am

Update! Someone has found our keys! so there wont be any need to continue down this PATS bypass any further. Although now I've come this far I am kind of curious to know if it would have been possible :lol:

Once again I thank you minormatt for taking the time to respond.

It is a red key so does that mean it can duplicate more keys into the system?
Many thanks Johnny
NzTranny

Postby Altransit » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:46 am

If the key is the all-red master key, then yes, you can duplicate slave keys from this one, so long as they have the correct PATS chip in the fob.

DSC00282.JPG
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:48 am

The only way it would have been possible to bypass that version is to change the ECU to a non PATS one and to frig the wiring to suit.

If your key is like the one Altransit posted, then yes you can use that one to programme new keys in. If its mostly black then you can't (but you should be able to get it cloned).

The procedure is to put that key in the ign, turn to position 2, turn off, insert new key, insert to position 2 and turn off, insert next key, turn to position 2, turn off etc.

The other option of course it to tape it inside the cowling so the transponder ring sees it - and then use keys without a PATS chip to start it
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits