*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK5 rear door repair panels

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK5 rear door repair panels

Postby jp567 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:29 pm

Hi everyone, I have bought some repair panels for the bottom of my rotten MK5 rear doors. I have the van going into the bodywork place tomorrow to get the wings done and the rear door panels. Has anyone else had these repair panels fitted? Are they just fitted over the existing door or does the existing panel have to be grinded off and then the repair panel welded on in its place. I haven't seen the end result of one of these so I'm interested in seeing some if you've got any pictures/vids. Cheers.
jp567
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: MK5 rear door repair panels

Postby Chug » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:44 pm

You should cut out the rusted metal and weld the repair panel in, but some just bung it over the top and it soon carries on rusting :shock:
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: MK5 rear door repair panels

Postby jp567 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:47 pm

Thanks for the reply, @Chug

Do you think that is possible with these doors? I have another set of MK5 doors in better condition but they are red and they have had a window that has been replaced quite roughly with metal panels. I was thinking whether to cut a larger section out of the top of my doors below and get the bodywork guy to do a nice job welding them to the better doors. The red ones are the replacements.

door 2.png

Door.png

Repla.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jp567
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits