*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Audio

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Audio

Postby sneillyboy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:52 pm

Hi guys
I am looking to fit a new audio unit which will enable me to have sat nav and reverse camera options . Anyone done this and can point me in the right direction on options pls ?
sneillyboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Audio

Postby Noctule » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 am

First thing you need to consider is that a head unit with sat nav and reversing functions is likely to be double din, and the hole in your dash is slightly smaller, so you need to be happy with making the hole bigger.

Next you need to think about how much you want to spend. You can get a 'cheap' android head unit, or even cheaper windows ce unit, or pay a whole lot more and get something by Pioneer, Alpine or Kenwood to name a few.

CE units are the cheapest, and most do radio/satnav/reverse/dashcam/bluetooth but there is no option to add apps.

The android units have the advantage of generally having an offline sat nav app built in, and being easier to update with your choice of navigation app just like a smart phone, but the quality can vary considerably.

The branded units are a lot more expensive and like CE units you get whatever system is inbuilt, and may be considerably harder to update if they don't have wifi options. On the plus side the build and sound quality is much higher. Note many lower-priced branded units with touchscreen do not have satnav and reversing functions, so make sure you read the spec carefully.

All units will need a lead to convert Ford's connection to what is likely a DIn connection with the head unit.

The reverse function is generally good on all units, not much to go wrong.

Take a look at eB*y, searching for 'double din' and you'll see the head units available. New prices start at £40-50 for a cheap windows CE unit with no disc drive, through £80-200 for an android unit, paying even more for a branded unit. Plenty of secondhand ones too.

On a personal level, I have an android unit in the mk7, and the most useful function is the reversing camera. I've got a DAB box for it but it's a pig to use which is a shame as DAB was my primary choice for a head unit upgrade, and it's easier to bluetooth music to it than use the built in player (which means I can at least stream via the phone rather than use DAB). I don't use the satnav function, I just don't get on with it being in the dash.

In the mk5 I've got an older Kenwood without any multimedia functions, the DAB is great, music is bluetoothed to it the same as in the mk7, and I don't feel the need to change just for satnav and cameras. I've got a Garmin sat nav that will support an (admittedly expensive) reversing camera, and if I did indeed buy that reversing camera I'd prefer this setup over the android unit in the mk7.

Next door is a mk5 with a basic mechless windows CE unit , they're happy with the satnav in the dash, use the reversing camera, and bluetooth music to it rather than use the built-in player.

Mat
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee