*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Where can i get this seal from :(

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Where can i get this seal from :(

Postby Pdiddybigbear » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:53 am

No i don't mean the kind in the ocean :)

The seal that runs along the top lip of my engine is about as good as a wet paper towel and my airbox has become a swimming pool because of it, not to mention how both my batter trays have paid the price.

I have tried to order a replacement part from ford this morning who told me that they are no longer available on the ford portal so I'm a bit stumped anyone any ideas please? Even if you found another way around using a seal?

Thanks in advance

Part numbers:
6199207 (1985 -1991)
6521821 (1994 - 2000)
1047850 (1997 - 2000)

seal.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my video diary of the Van here: https://www.tiktok.com/@ourmotorhomelife
Pdiddybigbear
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Where can i get this seal from :(

Postby Noctule » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:52 pm

There's likely to be a generic trim available on eBay. Search for something like finned trim seal.

If your battery trays are getting wet it's more likely to be a lack of seal between the scuttle cover and windscreen (no30 in your pic) and the plastic nuts that the scuttle cover screws down to (no 28) letting water past, that are letting the water in.

I used double glazing seal to replace the missing seal on the windscreen (because when your wipers are on they will push water down into the scuttle) and put sealant on the plastic nuts.

Also, you need to take the battery trays out and check the tops of the wheel arches and where the bulkhead welds to the wheel arch. If you have soundproofing it will hold the water there and rot out those places. If you need to weld inside the wheel arch just in front of the shock mount then it's the same place.

Mat
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Pdiddybigbear » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 pm

Noctule wrote:There's likely to be a generic trim available on eBay. Search for something like finned trim seal.

If your battery trays are getting wet it's more likely to be a lack of seal between the scuttle cover and windscreen (no30 in your pic) and the plastic nuts that the scuttle cover screws down to (no 28) letting water past, that are letting the water in.

I used double glazing seal to replace the missing seal on the windscreen (because when your wipers are on they will push water down into the scuttle) and put sealant on the plastic nuts.

Also, you need to take the battery trays out and check the tops of the wheel arches and where the bulkhead welds to the wheel arch. If you have soundproofing it will hold the water there and rot out those places. If you need to weld inside the wheel arch just in front of the shock mount then it's the same place.

Mat

Done the lower windscreen with double-glazed window seal
Tacked the rust in the arches as well as will be seeing what i can save of the old battery trays... the foam soundproofing was the first thing i ripped out :)
As for the engine bay finned seal I can't find any that curve the correct way and are 1800mm long and 50mm deep :/
Check out my video diary of the Van here: https://www.tiktok.com/@ourmotorhomelife
Pdiddybigbear
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Noctule » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:02 pm

The nearest I can find is Landrover Defender side window seal, don't know how flexible it is.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X2-OUTER-FRO ... 5045272645
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee