*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

High (rising) Idle speed and warning light

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

High (rising) Idle speed and warning light

Postby BobIles » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi all, just had a call from the garage to say that they can't fix my 1999 2.5 Turbo Diesel transit based motorhome engine, as they dont know whats wrong. I'm at a loss and looking for some help.

It starts up and runs well until it warms up, then the idle speed rises to around the 2000rpm mark and the red engine management warning light comes on, it then loses some power (Goes into safety mode). They cant hook it up to the diagnostic computer as has an older socket.

It seems to me that there is something wrong with the Auto choke? like it is working the wrong way around, this is also what the garage says but they just want to give it back to me unrepaired. I've got it booked into another garage but would like to advise them on what the problem may be, as I'd like it as reliable as possible so don't mind if parts need replacing :D .

Any Ideas? :?
BobIles

Re: High (rising) Idle speed and warning light

Postby Chug » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:14 am

You have the Lucas Epic fuel injection pump and few garages will still have the correct diagnostic machine, or know what the fault codes mean, it sounds like it could be one of the temp sensors is not happy. You may be able to get fault codes using the paper clip method.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=183951

First off I would check the main wiring loom connector which goes to the back of the injection pump for dodgy connection or rusty pins.
you can get a copy of the lucas epic service manual here, it says LDV but its the same engine as the transit.
https://www.ecovippari.com/uploads/6/4/ ... manual.pdf
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MinorMatt » Tue May 04, 2021 9:25 am

Paperclip method won't work on a 1999 - its got the OBD plug, not the star type diagnostic plug.

Its an unusual fault, from the description it sounds like it could be (in no particular order)

- Coolant temp sensor
- Sticky pump rotor
- Faulty rotor position sensor
- Faulty throttle pedal

Whereabouts in the country are you? Correct diagnostics are now hard to find...

There is no "auto choke"
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby BobIles » Fri May 21, 2021 2:20 pm

Hi Guys,
thanks for replying, sorry for the delay but had a family crisis.
I'm in Bognor Regis on the South coast. I've got it in a garage and they tell me it is the fuel pump. They took it off and sent it away to be reconditioned. Eventually getting back to me to say that it is shot and they cant find a replacement. Any ideas anyone?
Many thanks
BobIles

Postby MinorMatt » Fri May 21, 2021 4:19 pm

I don't think its the fuel pump...

but I guess either way you don't have one now? I've got a couple I *think* are good but I can't really sell them unless I know they are. I ought to get my test engine up and running...
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby BobIles » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:51 pm

Hi all, at last it is fixed. It was the fuel pump and it was a lot of trouble getting a replacement, but after all this time it's done. Thanks for your help.
BobIles

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits