*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit mk3 seats/ headrests

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Transit mk3 seats/ headrests

Postby SIMPLE » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:34 pm

Hi, my mk3 Autosleeper camper, vintage 1988, came to us minus its headrests, something I'd like to rectify. Having done a bit of research on Fordopedia, it seems like there were 2 kinds of seats fitted originally, a low back type and a high back, each with a different headrest. I think the original headrests were 3 or even 4 rung ladder construction, with foam padding and a cloth cover, quite tall and almost square shaped, with, iirc, legs spaced 200 mm apart centre to center and in the region of 3/8" /10mm diameter. The seats in our camper are the low back type, the backrest forming part of the bed, and so I can't substitute a seat from a scrap car because the backrest would be too long to fit in the space. So.... I am looking for two headrests that will fit the current seats. I might be wrong but it seems like the low back seats were only a feature of the earlier mk3's, so I'm only looking in a small window of time, say '86 to '90. Can anybody say whether I'm right or wrong? The next question is, does anyone know if the headrests from a mk4 or mk5 are interchangeable? If you have any other suggestions for solving the problem too, I'd be happy to hear them.
SIMPLE

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits