*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.5 di starter motor rusty and just clicking

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

2.5 di starter motor rusty and just clicking

Postby Mattyone » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:16 am

My 2.5 di starter motor was just spinning when trying to start so I took it off, cogg and spindel looked very rusty (boat engine lots of salt air) sprayed with wd40 and left for half hour, re-installed and then all I got was just clicking.
I took it off again thinking I would take it apart and give it a good clean, when I got to the part in the photo a bearing fell out, anyone know the best step fwd can this be fixed and not sure how to dismantle part in photo!!

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattyone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2.5 di starter motor rusty and just clicking

Postby In-transit » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:18 pm

I don't know about bearing re fitting but do know starter motors are relatively cheap, transit parts UK or eBay, think my last one was just £54, I change for new even if they have just slowed abit and/or are 'tired'.
Hope info helps decisions.
Arran
In-transit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Chug » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:43 pm

As stated they are not really expensive new, but if you want to try and sort your one out look at Martin Gaber's Westronics transit starter videos, he is nice bloke and if he can't sell you the parts you need he will tell you where to find them, or help you with part numbers to search for.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mattyone » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:58 pm

Thanks for the advice I did have a look and your advice is sound opted for a new one
Mattyone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits