*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Time is short!

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Time is short!

Postby Heathen » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:51 pm

I'm having bad, rear braking problems, and the first thing I want to do is check inside the drums.

However, my time is very limited and I want to prepare as much beforehand.

According to the manuals I may need a torque wrench capable of up to 540Nm (depending on axel type).

I have no idea what axel I have. Can any of you i.d it by the attached image?

I'm guessing it's an H axel, but then again, there seem to three different torque settings for the H axel (Hub nut).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heathen
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Time is short!

Postby 00353theking » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:12 am

If you have a 6 stud axel you remove the halfshaft relase the brakes from the back and the brake drum will come off , the 5 stud axel is different i cant remember, put a picture of the axel up so people can see and give you advice

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
00353theking
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Heathen » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:44 am

It's a 6 stud.

I can't start dismantling until I know that I'm able to reassemble to the right torque settings (my wrenches have a max torque of 350Nm).
Heathen
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:58 am

00353theking wrote:If you have a 6 stud axel you remove the halfshaft relase the brakes from the back and the brake drum will come off , the 5 stud axel is different i cant remember, put a picture of the axel up so people can see and give you advice

If its a 6 stud single wheel you can't get the half shaft out until the drum is off
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby V184 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:52 pm

Heathen wrote:It's a 6 stud.

I can't start dismantling until I know that I'm able to reassemble to the right torque settings (my wrenches have a max torque of 350Nm).

You dont need to remove the hub to get the drums off, remember to mark the wheel/drum to hub otherwise you could end up with brake judder :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Heathen » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:08 am

V184 wrote:You dont need to remove the hub to get the drums off, remember to mark the wheel/drum to hub otherwise you could end up with brake judder :wink:

So you're saying that I don't need to remove the hub to remove the drums - that's in contrast to what the Haynes manual reads, but I'm gathering that that's no surprise.

Regardless, if someone could help translate the specifics of my van (axel type etc), it would help me in future work, torque settings etc.

Thanks
Heathen
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby 00353theking » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:17 am

MinorMatt wrote:
00353theking wrote:If you have a 6 stud axel you remove the halfshaft relase the brakes from the back and the brake drum will come off , the 5 stud axel is different i cant remember, put a picture of the axel up so people can see and give you advice

If its a 6 stud single wheel you can't get the half shaft out until the drum is off
Well the 6 stud axel on the back of my van the half shaft comes out first , mabey there are other variations of them

00353theking
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:43 am

Certainly on all the mk4/5 single wheel 6 stud vans I have had - the diameter of the halfshaft is a couple of mm greater than the hole in the drum (due to chamfers cut in the halfshaft/drum)

Twin wheelers - the halfshaft just pops out

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby V184 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:44 pm

Heathen wrote:
V184 wrote:You dont need to remove the hub to get the drums off, remember to mark the wheel/drum to hub otherwise you could end up with brake judder :wink:

So you're saying that I don't need to remove the hub to remove the drums - that's in contrast to what the Haynes manual reads, but I'm gathering that that's no surprise.

Regardless, if someone could help translate the specifics of my van (axel type etc), it would help me in future work, torque settings etc.

Thanks

As far as i can remember no, but if its got abs its easier to change the brake shoes by taking the hub off, we used to air gun the nut on and it "stops" there left & right hand thread i think ? the twin wheelers have to be torqued up as taper bearings
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Heathen » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:56 pm

Hopefully this should get me some answers... I'm still wanting to know what torque setting I'll need to reassemble properly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heathen
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Heathen » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:14 am

Nevermind, I managed to get inside the Drum.

Braking surface seems even and smooth.

Brake shoes are also smooth. However, they're uneven. Could this be causing the juddering and locking up of the wheels?

I did check LAV, with engine running and brake pedal being pumped. It consistently moves about 5mm-10mm...although, creaks a little bit.
Heathen
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:31 pm

Heathen wrote:Nevermind, I managed to get inside the Drum.

Braking surface seems even and smooth.

Brake shoes are also smooth. However, they're uneven. Could this be causing the juddering and locking up of the wheels?

I did check LAV, with engine running and brake pedal being pumped. It consistently moves about 5mm-10mm...although, creaks a little bit.

What are the tyres like ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Chug » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:11 am

Uneven wear is normal, If the shoes are really glazed smooth then a little roughen up with some emery paper wont hurt, and give the load sensing valve a quick spray with wd40 or similar. cylinders looks a little dusty, sometimes a build up of dust can cause juddering, otherwise as v184 said check the tyres.

Your VIN plate codes, L and J, boxes 6 and 7 are for the axle...... L is 51a Heavy Salisbury, J is 5:14 ratio
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:41 am

Uneven wear isn't normal...

But when supplied one shoe has less material than the other from new - as it does less work

I have also had warped drums on these

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Chug » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:27 am

I'm away with the fairies at times :oops: Uneven wear is normal.. Lolz, uneven shoes is normal as Matt said they come with the front one with less friction material on.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits