*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help!!!2.5 di wont start

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Help!!!2.5 di wont start

Postby KING OF ENGLAND » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:18 pm

What’s your location as there may be someone close to maybe take a look
KING OF ENGLAND
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:33 am

Keef wrote:
marcrbarker wrote:According to my understanding whether there's PATS or not, if the injection pump is a Lucas EPIC (i.e. DSA1190/1191/1096 etc) the 'stop solenoid' is used to stop the engine when the key turned off. If it's this and you want to check the feed to the solenoid , the wire colours are violet/ brown and black/red. It's around 5 V when valve energised. Just simply applying 5 V wouldn't work to open it, because the valve needs a short 12 V pulse to shift the valve into place and 5 V to hold it there.

A diagnosis to prove there's compression and the valve timing is OK, You can start and run an diesel engine on spray brake cleaner down the air intake, usually for up to a minute before the clacking noise gets unbearable to hear. This feed completely bypasses the injection pump, fuel filters, injectors, ECU, stop solenoid, everything. Go easy on the spraying because you can over-rev the engine. Don't do it for too long because the smoke is annoying to neighbours and it condenses on car windscreens you won't be popular.

Edit. also a squirty-bottle garden sprayer filled with white spirit or turpentine works too. Aerosol brake cleaner is the easiest

He's already posted a video with it running from a spray and its a Bosch pump anyway.

Whoops I posted cross thread - so ignore my previous comment :oops:
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby marcrbarker » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:31 am

I just thought I ought to bump this in case the injects are happening in the wrong place this is how to find out. It's easy to do and says lots while looking at the rockers. Traditionally with a petrol engine you would see the points open and then look where the distributor arm is pointing, then trace the right HT cable goes goes to the right plug. This is the exact same principle applied for a diesel engine.

marcrbarker wrote: as a "sanity-check" , is see if the squirts are in the right place (since you've already been watching the valve rockers and seen it's a 1-2-4-3). While turning the engine manually by the crankshaft, peer attentively at each the slackened injectors you'll actually see a puff of fuel from each one, even though only cranking slowly. (I would expect the stop solenoid needs to be open the whole time doing this)
Of course it goes without saying the puff of fuel you see must coincide with the appropriate firing cylinder. If the wrong injector puffs or puffing near bdc then you know something is going wrong with how you are doing the belt timing or the pins or something.
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mattyone » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:02 pm

A update on my boat engine that would not start, finally got round to going to the boat again after a long while been busy with other things, took a friend who as worked on Transits for years (lucky me!!!! :D ) The timing on the fuel pump was as far out as it could be, set it correct and started up first time, I was very relieved.

A big thank you for everyone that gave their support and input of advice, hopefully I may be able to help someone one day.

Stay safe and happy motoring.
Mattyone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits