*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help!!!2.5 di wont start

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Help!!!2.5 di wont start

Postby Chug » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:16 pm

It should be a very powerful squirt so although you see fuel squirting it may not be high enough pressure, had it loads of times over the years, try what I said.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mattyone » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:59 pm

I will do thanks
Mattyone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mattyone » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:44 pm

https://youtu.be/hj21ScYYuAA

I got back to boat and first checked all 3 timing pins fitted and they did, then checked the fuel filter and was full to the brim even ran over the edges when lowered a few inches, turning engine over with all injectors pipes nuts loose and plenty of fuel coming out, tightening down one at a time then stried starting with easy start and you can hear results in you tube vid.

Any advice would be sooo grateful pulling my hair out now.
Whilst doing the cam belt I changed the starter motor and the alternator as they were rusted out photo below of wiring to starter motor assuming I put wiring back correct as is it working.

Thank you for those who look and for anyone with advice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattyone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:29 pm

Have you got the crankshaft locking pin in the correct hole in the flywheel I’ve never had this problem but the wrong hole is not as deep as the correct one.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Keef » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:36 pm

You have got 12v to the pump stop solenoid?
Just wondering if you've broken the wire or dislodged it doing the other work.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby Mattyone » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:50 am

dumper wrote:Have you got the crankshaft locking pin in the correct hole in the flywheel I’ve never had this problem but the wrong hole is not as deep as the correct one.

Turned the crank and shone a torch at the flywheel and there is only one hole the pin will go in to and it goes in all the way
Mattyone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mattyone » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:54 am

Keef wrote:You have got 12v to the pump stop solenoid?
Just wondering if you've broken the wire or dislodged it doing the other work.

did check the wire and it seemed all good never checked for voltage but when cranking over fuel getting to the injectors wouldn't this stop if the stop solenoid was not working (not sure)
Mattyone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:35 am

Up until a couple of years ago before I retired I was under the impression that to ge fuel out of the injection pipes when they we're cracked off that you only got fuel out of them when the pump was turning over and ignition on but I was fitting a Bosch 6 cylinder pump to Cummins engine which looked like a transit pump but 6 cylinders and I was under the bus operating the life pump to prime the low pressure side or the system and I had diesel running down from above I was thinking that I hadn’t connected something up but on investigation the diesel was coming out of the loose injection pipes so fuel can come out of the injection pipes with no 12v feed to the stop solenoid as they say after this every day is a learning day.
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mattyone » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:23 am

dumper wrote:Up until a couple of years ago before I retired I was under the impression that to ge fuel out of the injection pipes when they we're cracked off that you only got fuel out of them when the pump was turning over and ignition on but I was fitting a Bosch 6 cylinder pump to Cummins engine which looked like a transit pump but 6 cylinders and I was under the bus operating the life pump to prime the low pressure side or the system and I had diesel running down from above I was thinking that I hadn’t connected something up but on investigation the diesel was coming out of the loose injection pipes so fuel can come out of the injection pipes with no 12v feed to the stop solenoid as they say after this every day is a learning day.

Thank you, I will check the feed to stop solenoid now
Mattyone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby marcrbarker » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:27 pm

Hi I've just tuned into this thread. As I understand there's squirts when the injectors 17mm are cracked open. So I wouldn't have thought stop solenoid is closed.

Something you can do as a "sanity-check" , is see if the squirts are in the right place (since you've already been watching the valve rockers and seen it's a 1-2-4-3). While turning the engine manually by the crankshaft, peer attentively at each the slackened injectors you'll actually see a puff of fuel from each one, even though only cranking slowly. (I would expect the stop solenoid needs to be open the whole time doing this)
Of course it goes without saying the puff of fuel you see must coincide with the appropriate firing cylinder. If the wrong injector puffs or puffing near bdc then you know something is going wrong with how you are doing the belt timing or the pins or something.
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:31 am

The stop solenoid on this pump should not have 12V on it! It is a operated via a pulse width modulated signal and a constant 12V across it could kill it.
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Keef » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:48 am

MinorMatt wrote:The stop solenoid on this pump should not have 12V on it! It is a operated via a pulse width modulated signal and a constant 12V across it could kill it.

But it's in a boat so unlikely to still have the PATS fitted?
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby marcrbarker » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:01 pm

According to my understanding whether there's PATS or not, if the injection pump is a Lucas EPIC (i.e. DSA1190/1191/1096 etc) the 'stop solenoid' is used to stop the engine when the key turned off. If it's this and you want to check the feed to the solenoid , the wire colours are violet/ brown and black/red. It's around 5 V when valve energised. Just simply applying 5 V wouldn't work to open it, because the valve needs a short 12 V pulse to shift the valve into place and 5 V to hold it there.

A diagnosis to prove there's compression and the valve timing is OK, You can start and run an diesel engine on spray brake cleaner down the air intake, usually for up to a minute before the clacking noise gets unbearable to hear. This feed completely bypasses the injection pump, fuel filters, injectors, ECU, stop solenoid, everything. Go easy on the spraying because you can over-rev the engine. Don't do it for too long because the smoke is annoying to neighbours and it condenses on car windscreens you won't be popular.

Edit. also a squirty-bottle garden sprayer filled with white spirit or turpentine works too. Aerosol brake cleaner is the easiest
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Keef » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:53 pm

marcrbarker wrote:According to my understanding whether there's PATS or not, if the injection pump is a Lucas EPIC (i.e. DSA1190/1191/1096 etc) the 'stop solenoid' is used to stop the engine when the key turned off. If it's this and you want to check the feed to the solenoid , the wire colours are violet/ brown and black/red. It's around 5 V when valve energised. Just simply applying 5 V wouldn't work to open it, because the valve needs a short 12 V pulse to shift the valve into place and 5 V to hold it there.

A diagnosis to prove there's compression and the valve timing is OK, You can start and run an diesel engine on spray brake cleaner down the air intake, usually for up to a minute before the clacking noise gets unbearable to hear. This feed completely bypasses the injection pump, fuel filters, injectors, ECU, stop solenoid, everything. Go easy on the spraying because you can over-rev the engine. Don't do it for too long because the smoke is annoying to neighbours and it condenses on car windscreens you won't be popular.

Edit. also a squirty-bottle garden sprayer filled with white spirit or turpentine works too. Aerosol brake cleaner is the easiest

He's already posted a video with it running from a spray and its a Bosch pump anyway.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby dumper » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:02 pm

Keef wrote:
marcrbarker wrote:According to my understanding whether there's PATS or not, if the injection pump is a Lucas EPIC (i.e. DSA1190/1191/1096 etc) the 'stop solenoid' is used to stop the engine when the key turned off. If it's this and you want to check the feed to the solenoid , the wire colours are violet/ brown and black/red. It's around 5 V when valve energised. Just simply applying 5 V wouldn't work to open it, because the valve needs a short 12 V pulse to shift the valve into place and 5 V to hold it there.

He's already posted a video with it running from a spray and its a Bosch pump anyway.

Electrasolve was my favourite at work .
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext