*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Did I just destroyed my smiley engine? Flooded street accide

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Did I just destroyed my smiley engine? Flooded street ac

Postby Chug » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:10 pm

750 for a TD upgrade is not too bad a price, but if its a 4HC engine it's not a turbo engine, so check that.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mkgld » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:17 pm

Thank!..
Sadly this guy selling the engine told me he is going to sell the whole car to someone else.

In the meantime I have to find a quick solution to this situation and I have been also looking for other vans, and I must admit I feel so scared of all the electronics involved in the newer engines and the costs of the repairs.
I guess that everything after the year 2000 is that way.

I have seen a 2008 Transit high roof 140T350 with 400k km but looking in excellent shape for 5000 EUR, and I am really considering buying it. Thinking about it as an upgrade and maybe a better investment.
I have been driving it yesterday for some minutes and I could finally speak with my wife without screaming each other, jaja...and listening to music!

If I decide to go that way, I think I should create another post asking for advice-experiencies.

But I would like to ask you all... is my fear to this electric engines a real thing?
Are they much harder-expensive to repair?
I must say I am quite good with electronics..if that helps.
Thanks!!!
mkgld
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:41 pm

I very much fear the electronics
it's the unknown for me - very very scary dangerously expensive territory.

Yes, they would be expensive to diagnose and repair if you didn't get yourself trained up about them, as i hear ford charge £75 an hour

Even though you have those diagnostic readers etc ..that doesn't stop mis-diagnostics .. that being the fault could lie in the wiring or the connector and not the actually expensive component.; i hear a lot of garages will start replacing this and that ..until they find the fault and you pay for their mistakes
I'm hearing , that you can have a fuel pump fail ......and you cant just swap it out ..it has to be set up with computerised equipment by someone who knows what he's doing
The TDCI system - the injectors when they pack up- usually from what i read here between 100,000 - 150.000 miles can cost much as £1800 to repair.
There are batches of Some TDCI injectors at certain models certain years manufactured that fail prematurely.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Chug » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:53 pm

I know what you mean my old mk4 needs quite a bit of work on front spring hangers/chassis rail and I dunno if I have the will or energy to do it, so I started looking for someone to quote for the welding and nobody wants to take it on, so I started looking at mk6 and 7's and I've been to see two which sounded good on paper and phone, and both were nearly as bad as mine :lol: and I dread to think what they'll be like in a few more years :lol: and others in ads I've just rejected coz of major structural corrosion on previous mot's :roll:

Any decent smiley is now fetching better money than the equivalent mk7 :shock: So I'm now trying to summon up the will to attack mine :shock: and maybe take a week or so off and just do a few hours each day until I get fed up with hot metal embers up me arms n neck rather than attacking it over a few days, MOT is due just before xmas so gotta make me mind up soon or I'll be welding in the cold.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby marcrbarker » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:31 pm

mkgld wrote:is my fear to this electric engines a real thing?
Are they much harder-expensive to repair?
I must say I am quite good with electronics..if that helps.
Thanks!!!

Being good with electronics is a distinct advantage because you can call on skills the average mech doesn't have. It's like knowing how to weld and use an angle grinder transforms your approach to another level. Modern engines with extra electronics is still a 4 stroke engine underneath it all. An electronics based person can relate voltages and signals they measure with their knowledge of standard circuits and 'see' and understand what's going on with perception. They only need to find out the circuit action: 'servo loop' 'high side driver' 'analogue input' 'PWM' They can make their own approach. Older vehicles are not perfect, so a diagnosis process gets complicated because some things will be out of range and not relevant to the problem.
People who don't have this insight have to compare electrical readings they get with what's published in manufacturer's data and check correlation. They have to invest in all the tools called up in the service manual. And sometimes don't have the tool called up in the book so can only get up to a certain point. And then follow whatever instructions as best they can.
Another example one person using a scan tool that reports a code that suggests a mechanism is faulty, Answer: try ordering another and replacing it, ...but an electronics person can go further than that: find the fault and repair the mechanism on the same day.
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cherniy_chack » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:57 pm

The error code of any car unit only indicates that the value of the electrical signal from this device differs from the control one and does not contain information about mechanical damage to this unit.
Deciphering the meaning of an error code is a high technical art.

After installing a turbocharger on my naturally aspirated engine, I can safely talk to my wife in the car on the go.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Keef » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:16 pm

Chug wrote:I know what you mean my old mk4 needs quite a bit of work on front spring hangers/chassis rail and I dunno if I have the will or energy to do it, so I started looking for someone to quote for the welding and nobody wants to take it on, so I started looking at mk6 and 7's and I've been to see two which sounded good on paper and phone, and both were nearly as bad as mine :lol: and I dread to think what they'll be like in a few more years :lol: and others in ads I've just rejected coz of major structural corrosion on previous mot's :roll:

Any decent smiley is now fetching better money than the equivalent mk7 :shock: So I'm now trying to summon up the will to attack mine :shock: and maybe take a week or so off and just do a few hours each day until I get fed up with hot metal embers up me arms n neck rather than attacking it over a few days, MOT is due just before xmas so gotta make me mind up soon or I'll be welding in the cold.

You're not alone chug!
20210305_153902.jpg

20210403_164834.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby Altransit » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am

I have to say that the only real problems that I have had, both with my old Mk6 and my newer Mk7, were with corrosion, which, as Chug has said, no-one wants to repair any more.
I did have leaking injector seals on the Mk7, but that was a mechanical repair, (caused by a poor design, granted), but easily rectified.
Unfortunately, with the power and sophistication of modern TDCi engines, comes the possible issue of failure of engine control components, but the engines themselves seem to be quite reliable if looked after properly.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Chug » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:01 pm

it looks like you have the comfort of it being inside on flat ground keef :D unless I can find somewhere I'll be doing it in the field :roll:
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby marcrbarker » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:04 am

cherniy_chack wrote:The error code of any car unit only indicates that the value of the electrical signal from this device differs from the control one and does not contain information about mechanical damage to this unit.
Deciphering the meaning of an error code is a high technical art.

Yes, what typically happens is things go like this: the fault code scan tool reads a DTC code. Then it's the way the DTC code is interpreted. People using generic scantools will google the DTC and often get irrelavent and contradictory info. In the official manufacturer documentation the DTC will be something like "Xxx sensor circuit signal out of range" and then a mechanic will typically replace the sensor which may or may not stop the code appearing again. While replacing the sensor he might notice the wire to the sensor has a worn insulation and had been rubbing on metal. Or when plugging in the sensor he noticed one of the connector pins is out of place. Or it could even be the actual condition the sensor measures is only just within allowable operating range, plus the sensor is slightly out of range, the two things in combination with eachother cause the error code.
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits