*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil Leak to the rear of engine

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Oil Leak to the rear of engine

Postby Fastford85 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:27 am

Good morning

Quick question about a oil leak I have on my transit smiley 2.5di. I have a oil leak which is dripping onto the crossmember. I have been told by garage who did mot is either lift pump or crankshaft seal what symptoms would clarify it to be crankshaft seal? I do have signs of a leak around the lift pump it is wet on that side of the block and can clearly see something is leaking in that area. I have had a light in the inspection hole into the gearbox I can’t see any oil on or around the flywheel but I am assuming that it would be on the back of flywheel therefore not visible to from where I am viewing it from. I don’t mind if it is as I have ordered a brand nee lift pump and crankshaft seal and have tipper jacked up on stands etc ready to haul engine and box out if necessary but if it’s just the lift pump that’s leaking I will be peeved off to take all that out or gearbox off etc and it not be the crankshaft seal how can I find out for sure if it’s crankshaft seal that could be leaking also. Any help greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Mike
Fastford85
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Oil Leak to the rear of engine

Postby cherniy_chack » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Hi.
I estimate the probability of oil leakage through the lift pump and the rear crankshaft oil seal as 4: 1.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Fastford85 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:10 pm

cherniy_chack wrote:Hi.
I estimate the probability of oil leakage through the lift pump and the rear crankshaft oil seal as 4: 1.

Hi Thanks for the reply

I did take engine out today an gearbox I replaced crankshaft seal and also purchased a brand new lift pump along with oil filters etc be all built tomorrow morning see how we go. Have spent thousands now on this old girl almost that alone on recon fuel pump lol but IMO these transit are the best out there and this old girl now runs mint and pulls like a train just a shame this oil leak happened. Also Nice profile picture my father an his family are too Ukrainian :!: 8)
Fastford85
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:53 pm

Now there will definitely be no oil leakage!
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:37 pm

Unless it was from the rocker cover...
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Fastford85 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:49 pm

Quick Update.. no oils leaks and running very well overall pleased with this truck now. I checked rocker cover first lol as had that area leak on me few times in past years I previous old transits. Shame only down to two almost complete smiley vans which slowly breaking and this tipper will need to buy some more soon as space is made all the best !
Fastford85
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits