*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK5 2.5di fuel air lock

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK5 2.5di fuel air lock

Postby JohntheFish » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:49 am

Hi my transit mk5 keeps getting air locked. When I try and start it I have to undo the injectors turn it over a bit then tighten injectors and it starts. You can hear fuel filling the filter when you turn it over with injectors undone.

It was only doing this when it got to half a tank of fuel or under, if the tank was full then it would start no problem at all. Unfortunately it's doing it all the time now.

I have seen the injector return line mod and will try it but surely this is down to something else, perhaps the lift pump and pipes?
JohntheFish
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: MK5 2.5di fuel air lock

Postby Keef » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:23 pm

It's probably sucking air in somewhere between filter and pump if left standing for a while.
Check the fuel lines and connections between filter and pump and the filter head for cracks.
Fitting a non return valve could be a cheap quick fix if you can't find the fault
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby JohntheFish » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:19 pm

Well this morning I changed the lift pump and did the injector return line mod and I tightened the 4 connections on the top of the fuel pump (one was a bit loose) and it seems to be back to how it should be starts on the button first time every time so far... I think it was just the loose connection on the top of the fuel pump.
JohntheFish
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby JohntheFish » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:21 pm

Keef wrote:It's probably sucking air in somewhere between filter and pump if left standing for a while.
Check the fuel lines and connections between filter and pump and the filter head for cracks.
Fitting a non return valve could be a cheap quick fix if you can't find the fault

Thanks for your reply I think you were correct in that a loose connection on the top of the filter housing letting air in.
JohntheFish
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chug » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:40 pm

John, I think I have pased your truck a few times, a white P reg usually parked somewhere oposite Fox Close?
When I passed on Friday it looked like you were pissed when you parked :lol:
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits