*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Rebuild Mk 4

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Engine Rebuild Mk 4

Postby Wotisname » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:08 am

Thank you, I will look at the diagram of the pump to try and understand what you mean. If I understand correctly what you write you are referring to pre-ignition, which is a special type of knocking noise and if left uncorrected will lead to piston crown burning because the temperature of the flame is too high. This is especially bad for 1970's petrol engines.

The noise from my high pressure pump (injection pump) is almost exactly the same as a hammer on an avil that is used to make horse shoes and in time with the firing of the cylinders. A similar noise can be heard as water hammer in water pipes when air gets into the system. Unfortunately just a few weeks ago I knew nothing about diesel fuel injection pumps, so I really don't want to strip one down at this time and possibly do more damage leaving myself without transport.

I am going to turn the screws a bit more tomorrow until I can make the engine smoke going up hill. At least then I will know it is getting enough fuel.

Terry
Wotisname
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cherniy_chack » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:56 pm

A high pressure fuel pump that knocks like a hammer will not work for a long time.
Such knocks can be emitted by the engine during early fuel injection.
But engines with a serviceable turbine, even with early injection, make less atmospheric noise - this is due to the fact that the ignition temperature of the mixture is created earlier in the turbo engines and the fuel charge from which the mixture starts burning is less than in the atmospheric engine.
Less fuel, weaker explosion. Not loud sound.
When I installed a turbocharger on my motor, I was interested in the correct adjustment of the injection timing, both static and dynamic.
The static moment of injection on the atmospheric and turbo engine is the same - the starting qualities of the engine depend on its installation, I knew that.
The answer to the question about the dynamic moment of injection was given to me by the moderator of the Russian-language forum Dieselmaster - it is the same as that of the atmospheric one.
But the motor runs quietly and smoothly.
When there was an atmospheric engine, I did not hear what the wife sitting next to was saying, but now we are easily talking at a speed of 100 km / h.
So I guess. two options for loud operation of your engine - early injection or low boost pressure.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Wotisname » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:07 pm

Paul at Stoneycroft Diesels wrote off my injection pump so I had to find another, and found a Bosch 0 460 414 145, he said it would do the job. it had some sort of cold start solenoid on the side which Paul said is not needed and I can take it off. Anyway I fitted it and after bleeding the system it ran quite well with no smoke on tickover, considering the amount it used to produce, and not that much when it is rev'ed up. I have not yet road tested it.

It is was very difficult to start the next morning, is this timing or something else? Has anyone got any ideas please?

Terry
Wotisname
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gotgcoalman » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:13 pm

Fuel may have leaked back I'm to the tank causing an airlock?

Is everything tight after bleeding it.

Sent from my Plus E using Tapatalk
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Wotisname » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:21 am

The engine is cold this morning so I am going to loosen the nuts on the injectors and find out if air has got back in. I couldn't find my box of copper washers yesterday, I was going to replace all of them just in case one is leaking, I have ordered another box. I'll post later the results of the second bleeding. There is no evidence of diesel leaking anywhere.

Terry
Wotisname
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Wotisname » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:49 pm

Someone at my local garage suggested it may be the lift pump leaking back to the tank, so I have ordered a new one. Will post when it arrives and I have fitted it.

Terry
Wotisname
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Wotisname » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:50 pm

It gets worse. I replaced the lift pump with a new one and started the engine with Easystart, it ran and ticked over very well so I let it warm up for 20 minutes. I then drove about a mile to the garage and left it running while I spoke to the mechanic. About 10 minutes later I proceeded to drive back home by driving around the block and it was as if I'd run out of fuel, the engine spluttered to a stop and I pulled over. I walked back into the garage, as I was now opposite the side door, and asked for someone to help me start my engine as I can't turn the key and squirt Easystart at the same time. The engine started almost at once and then I held the revs to about mid range for about a minute before it stopped again - lack of fuel. A further 2 attempts resulted in the same thing. I closed the bonnet and walked home.

The fuel gauge is reading just over 1/4 tank which if memory is correct is right.

Tomorrow I will obtain a second mortgage to buy another gallon of diesel just in case the gauge is crap.

I will take with me the lift pump that was replaced and also the one off the original engine.

I did notice there is some drops of diesel while it was outside the garage, when I fitted this engine I caught the return fuel line and kinked it - I will check every joint and this area of pipe.

Any other ideas please?

Terry
Wotisname
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Keef » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:41 pm

You didn't mix the lift pump pipes up and put them on the wrong way round?
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby baba2000 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:16 pm

My 2.5di has been reliable for the last 2 years except for a loss of power like limp mode about 5 times in 2 years but it started taking longer to start recently. Anyway I parked it for a week and it wouldn't start, needed new pump did leak off mod, new injectors and cleaned the fuel tank which was quite bad. It runs and sound a lot smoother but the other day I also had that noise you describe like a hammer on an anvil couldn't believe it, but after stopping to pick my son up turning engine off then set off it slowlly went quieter and has gone. it was loudest above the egr area but that's blanked off. She fires as soon as you turn the key and drives smooth. i't's a nasty noise for sure. I'll let you know if it comes back. Regarding loss of power I think it was crap in the fuel tank, I was advised to keep it topped up with good fuel and for the last year it not happened, when it did it always rectified itself when left. I thought it was air but more like crap floating in a tank that's not been off for 22 years.
baba2000
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:55 pm

Wotisname wrote:It gets worse. I replaced the lift pump with a new one and started the engine with Easystart, it ran and ticked over very well so I let it warm up for 20 minutes. I then drove about a mile to the garage and left it running while I spoke to the mechanic. About 10 minutes later I proceeded to drive back home by driving around the block and it was as if I'd run out of fuel, the engine spluttered to a stop and I pulled over. I walked back into the garage, as I was now opposite the side door, and asked for someone to help me start my engine as I can't turn the key and squirt Easystart at the same time. The engine started almost at once and then I held the revs to about mid range for about a minute before it stopped again - lack of fuel. A further 2 attempts resulted in the same thing. I closed the bonnet and walked home.

The fuel gauge is reading just over 1/4 tank which if memory is correct is right.

Tomorrow I will obtain a second mortgage to buy another gallon of diesel just in case the gauge is crap.

I will take with me the lift pump that was replaced and also the one off the original engine.

I did notice there is some drops of diesel while it was outside the garage, when I fitted this engine I caught the return fuel line and kinked it - I will check every joint and this area of pipe.

Any other ideas please?

Terry

Take the fuel filter off get someone to spin it over on the key, diesel should p-ss out big time if it doesn't you've either a blockage, lift pump problem or lack of fuel, if it does p-ss out run a direct feed/return into the fuel pump from a tin eliminating everything except the injection pump :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Wotisname » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:53 pm

Sorry I haven't got back sooner, depression is a terrible thing.

Anyway I removed the nice shiny new lift pump when I got home with the van and it fell to bits. The rod that goes through the pump had rejected its top circlip. It has the old pump back on now, the suppliers of the pump have sent me another new one but I haven't had the inclination to fit it yet. So that was one problem sorted. I then found a leak on the filter, fuel was running down the back of it, onto the front cross member and off the steering rack on the opposite side of the engine. I then trimmed all of the plastic pipes that plug into the filter because the ends were looking a bit ragged. Then I fitted yet another new filter but I was still left with that starting after being left problem.

I then got to thinking about what I had changed or interferred with over the last 12 months, of spending money on this thing and getting nowhere, and the only thing left was the fuel pipe between the filter and the injector pump. While the engine was on the floor of the garage someone had snapped off this pipe, of course it must have been a ghost or a rat because no-one admitted it. Anyway I turned a new end on my lathe out of brass warmed up the pipe and pushed the new end into it. When it had cooled it looked like a good joint. Just in case I fitted a 7-9mm fuel line clip to it and it did the job.

It is still difficult to start in the morning but starts instantly all day long. It certainly doesn't have the power I would expect especially pulling off until the revs rise. There is no acceleration from 30 mph on a flat road in 4th gear and no acceleration in 2nd gear from idle when moving slowly. I am down to 3rd gear climbing up the hill of the Birkenhead Tunnel. Stoneycroft Diesels say advance the timing a bit more. What do you think?
Wotisname
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Wotisname » Wed May 11, 2022 12:16 pm

The other day my camper was brought home on the back of an RAC recovery truck. Number 1 injector had blown its top and the engine dropped down to 3 cylinders while going up hill. Fuel came out over the engine at an eye watering rate. I change the injector and my camper started perfectly and starts easily in the morning so it was that injector all along.

I still haven't got enough power so I am going to take the front off the engine later today to advance the timing and increase the fueling. We will see.

Terry
Wotisname
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits