*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk4 Exhaust Manifold 2L Petrol

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk4 Exhaust Manifold 2L Petrol

Postby drrobbeattie » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Hi all, I am looking for advice on replacing the above on my old camper van. Mine was cracked when the camshaft got replaced. I had a look online and this has the correct part number (92 - HF - 9430 - AA) but it's reasonably expensive and I am not sure of the quality:

https://www.motomobil.com/en/products/e ... 64875230-1

Not sure if the Mk3 one could be modified to fit:

https://www.transitcenter.uk/exhaust-ma ... -2245.html

Any advice would be appreciated. I did a breaker search but it came up dry. The old van runs well and has about an inch of waxoil on the bottom now. It's a bit of afire hazard probably. But rust is not an issue.

Thanks
Rob.
drrobbeattie

Re: Mk4 Exhaust Manifold 2L Petrol

Postby Chug » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:34 pm

People have managed to weld cracks on their manifolds so it might be possible depending on how bad the crack is.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby drrobbeattie » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:52 pm

The mechanic who cracked it gave it to a welder who has made a pretty neat job. The crack is maybe 10 - 15cm long. Not sure if he welded it or brazed it though. I did not look closely. It looks pretty solid so I am inclined to just forget about it. If there was a cheap enough replacement then I would go for that. But given the age of the van I cant bring myself to spend 400 euros. Sounds perfect now though with the new camshaft so hopefully get a few more years out of it. It's been very reliable.

Thanks
drrobbeattie

Postby V184 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:20 pm

drrobbeattie wrote:The mechanic who cracked it gave it to a welder who has made a pretty neat job. The crack is maybe 10 - 15cm long. Not sure if he welded it or brazed it though. I did not look closely. It looks pretty solid so I am inclined to just forget about it. If there was a cheap enough replacement then I would go for that. But given the age of the van I cant bring myself to spend 400 euros. Sounds perfect now though with the new camshaft so hopefully get a few more years out of it. It's been very reliable.

Thanks

Was it cracked on the top ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby drrobbeattie » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:37 am

Yes on the top. I assume he was hitting it with a hammer.

PS Looking at this https://www.fordopedia.org/parts-catalo ... -ohc/B1.20, the gaskets seem the same right through, which would make me think that if the worst came to the worst then the manifold from another Mk could be modified. Maybe an adaptor of some sort. Not that I will be rushing out to try it.
drrobbeattie

Postby V184 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:03 pm

drrobbeattie wrote:Yes on the top. I assume he was hitting it with a hammer.

PS Looking at this https://www.fordopedia.org/parts-catalo ... -ohc/B1.20, the gaskets seem the same right through, which would make me think that if the worst came to the worst then the manifold from another Mk could be modified. Maybe an adaptor of some sort. Not that I will be rushing out to try it.

Common fault the heat shield causes the manifold to overheat and crack
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby drrobbeattie » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:52 pm

V184 wrote:Common fault the heat shield causes the manifold to overheat and crack

I was speaking to a mechanic friend of mine. He said the same. Said he changed a lot of them back in the day. Same for camshafts.
drrobbeattie

Postby V184 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:34 pm

drrobbeattie wrote:
V184 wrote:Common fault the heat shield causes the manifold to overheat and crack

I was speaking to a mechanic friend of mine. He said the same. Said he changed a lot of them back in the day. Same for camshafts.

Drill a few hole in heat shield seems to cure problem :wink: camshafts no problem as long as oil changed every 6k :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits