*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Diesel fuel dripping off engine

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Diesel fuel dripping off engine

Postby legend » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:34 pm

My 2000 motorhome on a 2.5 Td Transit chasis has developed a fuel leak.
It starts and runs perfectly smoothly.
After a 30 mile journey I could smell fuel outside.
I lifted the bonnet and the whole engine looked like it was sweating from the top all the way down the left hand side (looking from the front). i.e. the offside. From underneath it was dripping off the crossmember. See photos
I started it and watched and noticed the braided black pipe running along the top of the engine was coming off at the back end and fuel was being pumped out of it. It hadn't come completely off, but nearly.
I thought that was it - cured.
I went for a run the next day and all seemed well. The 'sweaty' appearance dried off the side of the engine and the top dried off. However drips still came from the crossmember underneath.
I have left it for a few days to dry out and also waited for the roads to dry.
Today, after a run, the crossmember is dripping again.
Looking in the bonnet now everything is dry. I can't see any signs of leaking or spraying from anywhere. The filter connections are all dry.
It's just the drips from the crossmember.
After a recent new hip I find it difficult to get underneath to try to look up from the crossmember but I can't see anything.
Has anyone any ideas of what it could be?
Is it something that caused the top pipe to come off (nearly) or is that just coincidence? ( I don't believe in coincidences like that!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Home is where you park it !
2000 Ford Transit 2.5 turbo diesel motorhome. On a LCY190 chassis.
legend
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Diesel fuel dripping off engine

Postby Kjeles » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:20 am

The braided hoses are return hoses for excess diesel in the injectors. I suspect that they are not original hoses, and they are apparently too loosely attached to the injector nipples. They should sit tightly on the nipples. Maybe the rubber is not diesel resistant such that the rubber turns soft and expands over time. You should probably replace all of them. Make sure you get hoses that are made for the purpose.

The continued dripping from the crossmember is probably due to remaining puddles of diesel on the engine. Diesel doesn't evaporate that fast. Alternatively, another of the return hoses may be leaking.
Kjeles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wojciech » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:14 pm

The return fuel from the injectors goes through the common pipe behind the engine and there, on the tee, it connects to the fuel return pipe going from the injection pump and filter to the tank. Check with your hand whether this section of the return line from the injectors is tight, whether it has not slipped off the tee.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Chug » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:59 pm

Yes as per wojciech, follow the braided pipe that came off back to where it joins the return line going to the fuel tank from the fuel filter.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby legend » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:23 pm

Thank you all for your replies and advice.
The diagram from wojciech is great - just what I've been looking for - many thanks.
After another run today I think the drips are lessening.
Perhaps the fuel that leaked out collected somewhere and has slowly been draining / dripping.
But all of the pipework visible under the bonnet has remained dry and so I was thinking it must be from somewhere lower if there is another leak.
The diagram from wojciech gives me an indication where it could be if there is another leak.
But, as I said in my original post, I don't believe in coincidences and so another leak is unlikely unless it was something that caused the top braided pipe to come off - which I don't think is the case.
Many thanks all.
Home is where you park it !
2000 Ford Transit 2.5 turbo diesel motorhome. On a LCY190 chassis.
legend
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits