*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lost keys / replacement ignition barrel

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Lost keys / replacement ignition barrel

Postby frexpt » Sun May 01, 2022 3:41 pm

We are in France, where even the most simple problem becomes a total drama.

My son has a 1998 Tourneo Transit Bus 2.5 TD auto, which was modified at new with hand controls and a side wheelchair lift.

Last week, he parked in the middle of the local town and promptly lost the only set of keys he had. It may not have been the right thing to do, but none of the local garages, nor the Ford dealership were interested in helping, so a friend of my son drilled out the barrel, released the steering lock and towed the van home.

As the original barrel is now knackered, we ordered a generic brand set of locks and keys from Amazon.

What else do we need (to do) to overcome the problem that we do not have an orignal key with the correct chip?

I am sure this will have been asked before, but, if so, please point me towards the correct thread. I am pretty much at my wits' end. :(
frexpt

Re: Lost keys / replacement ignition barrel

Postby Keef » Sun May 01, 2022 6:57 pm

Do you have spares in England that could be sent over?
If not the tubo auto is about the hardest version of Mk5 Transit to get going without the correct key chip :(
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby frexpt » Sun May 01, 2022 8:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I can see that I haven't been very clear in what I have said. We have lived in France for 13 years and this is a French LHD vehicle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frexpt

Postby frexpt » Mon May 02, 2022 2:36 pm

Just been into the nearest Ford dealership. They have told me that they can order keys based on the info noted in the service book and registration docs, but we have to take the van there to programme the new keys. That is a problem as the van can't be moved. Ford quoted 260€ for keys and programming, but no guarantee of success as the vehicle is so old. Similarly, they can't supply a new immobiliser as they are no longer made.

I am wondering whether it might be possible to pick up an immobiliser, with the steering column sensor and ignition barrel from a scrappy. TBH, it will probably be as quick to source the parts in the UK as beat my head against the wall here in France.

Any suggestions on suppliers?

Many thanks
frexpt

Postby MinorMatt » Wed May 04, 2022 8:43 am

You need

ECU
PATS Module
Keys

From a donor automatic.

if the ECU has a 95VB part no, it has to have a 95VB replacement
97VB and 98VB parts are interchangeable.

I am 99% sure I have a used ECU kit with keys that I could send out - but I would need to you confirm the ECU and PATS module part number. If you ask nicely I can probably supply a complete lock set with programmed keys

I may also be able to do a non immobilised ECU, which will work nicely (but needs a very small wiring modification).
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frexpt » Wed May 04, 2022 11:50 am

Thanks. I will look at the van this afternoon and get back to you.
frexpt

Postby V184 » Wed May 04, 2022 7:07 pm

frexpt wrote:Just been into the nearest Ford dealership. They have told me that they can order keys based on the info noted in the service book and registration docs, but we have to take the van there to programme the new keys. That is a problem as the van can't be moved. Ford quoted 260€ for keys and programming, but no guarantee of success as the vehicle is so old. Similarly, they can't supply a new immobiliser as they are no longer made.

Probably more positive than your average uk dealer :roll: would they not bring there programmer too you ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits