*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Westfalia Nugget '89 4th 3 point seat belt

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Westfalia Nugget '89 4th 3 point seat belt

Postby Daniel_NL » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:08 pm

Hi guys,

the mk3 Westfalia Transit we just bought has a lap seat belt on the right rear passenger seat which I would like to exchange for a 3 point seat belt. I've been searching on this forum and other websites but can't find any conclusive information about the subject. The mk5 Westfalia Transit has 5 seats where the right rear passenger has a 3 point seat belt placed in the c-pillar, but it has a different rear bench which I'm guessing is slightly wider and therefor closer to the C-pillar.

I have already removed the kitchen and panels to see what the options are but am not sure how to proceed from here, i would love to here your thoughts on the matter. Some clear pictures of the mk5 Westfalia Transit would be very welcome as well. I think there are 2 viable options:

Option 1 is using the already present bottom thread to bolt a cassette to and making a shoulder point somewhere high up, just like a mk5 Westfalia Transit albeit my bench isn't as wide so the height of the shoulder point might not be sufficient.

Original thread c-pillar:
IMG_20220608_200353.jpg

Original shoulder point, to low:
IMG_20220608_201051.jpg

mk5 shoulder point, how to?
IMG_20220608_221052.jpg

Option 2 is placing the cassette and high point on the rear most (D?) pillar and using one where two receivers are used, so when it is nog in use it would retract all the way above the kitchen. Using it would mean pulling it out and connecting it to two receivers which would be bolted to the existing points from the lap seat belt. Hope that makes sense..

d-pillar, no official mount points. How to?
IMG_20220608_201003.jpg

Proposed seat belt type:
Screenshot_20220608-215454.jpg

I've been on the phone with a lot of companies and got the widest range of answers, from not allowed to just tinker something.. The dutch transport authorization (RDW) said they don't care because its a '89er and seat belts aren't even obligatory in the back.. I want to do it the right way for obvious reasons..

Although option 2 has the nicest positioning with regards to the shoulder height, I am leaning towards option 1 seeing that the mk5 uses this option and smarter men than myself have made this decision. So i am especially curious about the fixed shoulder position of the mk5 Westfalia Transit.

With kind regards,

Daniël
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniel_NL

Re: Westfalia Nugget '89 4th 3 point seat belt

Postby SimoninTransit » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:32 am

Hi Daniel, we just bought also a Nugget (1988) and I started googling on this subject. Did you get to a solution by now? Curious to learn more on what you did in the end as we also like get to a 3 point seat belt one way or another.

Thanks and kind regards,

Simon
SimoninTransit

Postby SimoninTransit » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:44 am

Hi Daniel, great that you started this topic! We just bought a Westfalia Nugget of 1988 and are looking for a similar solution. Was wondering if you could share your final outcome and whether you are satisfied with the functionality.
Would love to hear, also fine to share a DM in Dutch :-)

All the best,
Simon
SimoninTransit

Postby Daniel_NL » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:54 pm

Hi Simon,

by now you probably have an idea of how I've finished this project as you've found our advert on marktplaats.nl. I've gone with a combination of the two above options, a seatbelt with two receivers but with the shoulder point mounted on the c-pillar. The pictures will give an idea of the mounting behind the panel.

IMG_20220701_190014.jpg

IMG_20220701_190020.jpg

IMG_20220705_202816.jpg

Parts all came from the dutch website jasicamp.nl,

097.309 Gordelbevestiging gebogen metaal VW T4. nr.58050
097.311 Plaat ( 5cm) met boutgat voor veiligheidsgordel nr. 58052 (I've used 2 if I'm not mistaking)
097.306 Veiligheidsgordel 3 punt 3,6 mtr. + extra riem horizontaal. nr. 58149

Because I've tried and ordered different options I'm not 100% sure you will receive all the right bolts and spacers I've used to finish the shoulder point, they’re special grade steel so don't just use any bolt you've got laying around...

I unfortunately don't have any photos of shoulder point mount. You'll have to use part 097.311 after you've drilled a hole just behind the speaker position in the top beam and push a wire or string through towards the c-pillar and then downwards, after you've gotten to the other end thread it trough and pull it up to the final position. Use a small bolt in the pilot thread to secure it in place.

Final result:

IMG_20220709_161455.jpg

IMG_20220709_161525.jpg

The cassette is hidden behind the panel, in a crash 097309 might cause it to move a bit but because the cassette is leaning against the c-pilar I'm quite confident there won't be much movement. I've placed some strong magnets (radiator cover magnets) behind the panel so the seatbelt 'sticks' to it when not in use.

I hope you can move on with this information, if there are any questions left please ask.

With kind regards,

Daniël

Ps. Be sure to use loctite when you finish up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniel_NL

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits