*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil leaking breather pipe and vacuum hose EGR

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Oil leaking breather pipe and vacuum hose EGR

Postby Trannifan » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:55 pm

Hi all, I have got myself a 1999 2.5di transit. I've noticed that fresh oil is seeping out from the breather pipe from oil cap to air intake, what's causing this? I have also got oil dripping off the vaccum line to EGR. I'm guessing this isn't doing it no good. Any advice would definitely be appreciated.
Trannifan

Re: Oil leaking breather pipe and vacuum hose EGR

Postby wojciech » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:33 am

The oil filler cap is also an element of the engine ventilation system, the cap houses an oil mist condenser. The oil drains from the plug back into the engine and the rest is sucked into the engine inlet. If the engine is already worn out and has strong exhaust blows into the crankcase, the condenser cannot trap any excess oil that seeps into the intake.
The EGR vacu hose is connected to the intake so it sucks in oil from the intake.
So: there is always some oil in the inlet, if there is too much oil, it is usually a sign of bad engine condition. Possibly the oil condenser insert in the cap is damaged.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits