*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit 2.0 OHC Petrol, dificult to start after 2 days.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Transit 2.0 OHC Petrol, dificult to start after 2 days.

Postby Mauritx » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:38 pm

My transic takes time to start after I leave for a couple of days without using it.

What I have notice is that the fuelfilter dryes, the fuel dissapears, I suppose it goes back
all the way to the fueltank therefore the pump has to pump all the ways back to the carburator
and this is why it takes times.

Is there any vacum/back ventil that prevent the fuel to goes back to the tank?

I replaced for a few days ago the mechanical fuelpump, has this pump a preventer or backventil that it is broken?

If I start after a day it starts normally, this happen after 2 or more days without using it.

Thanks for all your answers. B/R
Mauritx

Re: Transit 2.0 OHC Petrol, dificult to start after 2 days.

Postby bortaf » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:28 pm

tank vent blocked causing a vacume? run it for a while then remove the fuel cap and listen out for a hiss :?
TBH even if it is this there should still be enough fuel in the carb float bowl to start the engine, it cant suck fuel back from the carb but it can from the pump and lines ?
Mind you in this weather it could be evaporating out the carb, is the phenolic (black plastic) spacer still there between the carb and manifold, it's there to stop heat transfer into the carb after you park up to stop this happening
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mauritx » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:06 pm

bortaf wrote:tank vent blocked causing a vacume? run it for a while then remove the fuel cap and listen out for a hiss :?
TBH even if it is this there should still be enough fuel in the carb float bowl to start the engine, it cant suck fuel back from the carb but it can from the pump and lines ?
Mind you in this weather it could be evaporating out the carb, is the phenolic (black plastic) spacer still there between the carb and manifold, it's there to stop heat transfer into the carb after you park up to stop this happening

Thanks for your replay. I will check. Somebody has replace the tankfuel in my Transit, The fueltank is made of plastic and I suppose it where made of metal back in 1989? Somebody has also replace the original fuelmeter and installed another one.
I believe it is something wrong with the fueltank installation.

People told me the same that it should be enough fuel in the carburator to start the engine.

Thanks I will return as soon as I checked.
Mauritx

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:41 am

The mk3 had plastic fuel tanks - I have spare tanks and senders if you feel you need to go down that route
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits