*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 Engine/fuel pump questions

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk5 Engine/fuel pump questions

Postby Taylorstransit » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:23 pm

Hello All, I really cant work any of the problems out after searching throughtout the forum and looking at my vans im at a complete dead end and seem to keep going round in circles. I have 5 mk5 transits (vintage traditional Ice cream vans)
Just to focus on 3 of them.

Van 1 T Reg 1999 2.5 Banana (assuming its the 76ps being a banana)
Pump code(040 414 145)

Van 2 M reg 1995 2.5 70ps (barcode still on stating bhp)
pump code (040 414 113)

Van 3 P Reg 1996 2.5 unknown hp (feels much quicker than them all)
pump code (040 414 145) (previous owner fitted a reconditioned engine)

We were planning on swapping the engines between van 2 and van 3
This was because Van 3 we are selling and van 2 is very underpowered (68ps I know) ok once at 50 its getting there and its really too slow dangerous slow I think. Ideal if we could take the strong engine out and put the slow engine in the one we will sell…
Once our mechanic who started to take the bumper off he told me the fuel filter ( on van 3) has a sensor van 2 has no fuel filter sensor/wiring to connect too. But also fuel pumps are both Bosch but van 2 has a fuel pump solenoid were van 3 doesent?

I thought this being old school it would simple.

I did read after 1997 pumps/pressures are different

I found this before on the forum….
9 ) Early 2.5 Di "Banana engine" with Bosch pump (80PS) Diesel
10) Early 2.5 turbo Di with Lucas EPIC pump (100PS) Diesel
13) Late 2.5 Di with Bosch pump (70PS) Diesel
14) Late 2.5 Di "Banana engine" with Bosch pump (76PS) Diesel
15) Early MK5 2.5 TDI with Lucas EPIC (85PS) Diesel
16) Early MK5 2.5 TDI with Lucas EPIC (100PS) Diesel
17) Late MK5 2.5 TDI with Lucas EPIC (85 and 100PS) Diesel
18) Late MK5 2.5 TCI with Lucas EPIC and intercooler (115PS) Diesel

None of the 3 engines are turbo, none are lucas

So my questions is

Can I swap the engine between van 2 and Van 3??
If the changes came in 1997 why does one van have a mechnical bosch with a solenoid (van 2) the other (van 3) have a bosch pump but looks has some sort of electronic on the back? A wire going to it….

I no the pumps are different (see numbers above)
And there is unknown as to the exact engine in van 3 as it been reconditioned but according to the stats you cant get more for a di no turbo than 80ps anyway?
Last edited by Taylorstransit on Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylorstransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk5 Engine/fuel pump questions

Postby Keef » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:44 pm

All 3 vans should have an electronic stop solenoid on the back of the pump otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn them off with the key.
Possibly, if the PATS has been bypassed on one, it might have an extra or different wire that you don't recognise?
I wouldn't worry about the water in fuel sensor on the fuel filter, it's a bit of a waste of time.
Most of the vans I've had have been left unplugged anyway.
Your "mechanic" should have no problem getting his head around swapping these engines, they really don't get much more simple!
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby Taylorstransit » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:14 pm

They are simple to work on but this straight swap does not appear “simple”
As if we swapped them they have different wirings on the pump…

I Will get a photo tomorrow to show the difference

I dont mind keeping this 70ps engine if we could make it quicker will give turning the pump all the way up (it doesent smoke at all atm) its been fully serviced too

Does anyone know the differences between the 2 fuel pumps ?
Could we swap the engines and keep existing fuel pumps ?
Both bosch
Taylorstransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:51 pm

Yeah get some pictures, and as keef said, all three pumps have the same stop solenoid and need just one wire with a 12v positive feed, the only difference is that one of yours sounds like it had the PATS system fitted which has a cover over the stop solenoid and has 3 wires going into it, one of those wires is a 12v feed, the white and red one IIRC.

Pumps are pretty much identical and you would have to address the wiring anyway even with a pump swap, get pictures and we'll help ya sort it, and maybe get a better mechanic :roll:
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Taylorstransit » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:04 pm

Thats the 2 pumps

Guessing one has a “cold start solenoid”

So can we swap the engines but were does the wire from that solenoid go because the other pump is different and doesent have that

There both Bosch ? Is one older ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taylorstransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Taylorstransit » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:13 pm

The van without the cold start solenoid has a fuel filter water sensor the other van doesn't have one at all
The wiring looks differnt too on the cold start solenoid one no wires too it wereas the other one has wires going into the black box on the back of it ?

Is one fully mechanical and the other electronic pumps? But there both bosche

The cold start one is defo a 68ps 2.5 still has the org barcode on
Not sure what the other engine is but it is WAY faster
Its not a turbo one either
Taylorstransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Noctule » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:53 pm

The Bosch pumps are all mechanical, the cold start system is just an option. There should be a wire attached to a short threaded stud on the end (covered by the rubber cap?) which becomes live after the engine gets so warm. It works by pulling on a cable when cold which opens the throttle a little as well as altering the timing. As the engine warms up the cable goes slack, returning the throttle levers to a normal tickover position. They are disabled by removing the wire, then slackening off the cable. Look at the engine block below the pump, there should be a switch in there which is the temp sensor which delays the mechanism from releasing the lever until the oil has warmed up. If there isn't one there's a good chance the pump and cold start are not original.

All the diesels should have the water sensor, but when the threads wear out most folk just leave in the bung that comes with the new filter. There will be plug hanging loose below if the sensor is missing.
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee