*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Banana 2.5di turbo into 1948 chevy pickup conversion

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Banana 2.5di turbo into 1948 chevy pickup conversion

Postby Greg Smith » Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:14 am

Hi.
I have just converted my 48 chevy truck to a 1992 2.5 di engine with what I believe is the bosch pump.
So my questions are...
1..what wires go to where off of the main round multi engine electrics plug.
I have figured put 1 wire that activated the stop solenoid and have had it running.
But feeling like more should be wired.
Like there is another solenoid that goes to a lever just where the throttle lever is..what is this actuator and what's its job and do I need it..
Just want to be sure U am not going to hurt this engine by not having something hooked up..?
Also any help with doing the charging system..
IE plain English as I struggle with diagrams and it literally turns into a turn into a spag bowl in front of me....
I have put both engine and box with the mt75 I believe.
Do they do a speedo conversion to cable on this gearbox?
Sorry blasting you with questions..
I am finding it hard to find content online in ford di stuff.
Thank you in advance.Greg
07780434374
Greg Smith
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:45 am

Re: Banana 2.5di turbo into 1948 chevy pickup conversion

Postby dumper » Mon Aug 26, 2024 7:48 pm

The solenoid will be the cold start it advances the pump timing and increases the tick over it never worked on my mk3 and never had any problems starting I did remove it and fitted a chock cable off a car under the bonnet just in case needed in winter but never used it.
2025 MK 8 L3 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
2015 MK 8 L4 H3 motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6403
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Banana 2.5di turbo into 1948 chevy pickup conversion

Postby Keef » Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:49 pm

Greg Smith wrote:I have put both engine and box with the mt75 I believe.
Do they do a speedo conversion to cable on this gearbox?


The earlier vans had a cable speedo and the later had electronic speedo.
The gearbox drive is interchangeable and there are a few different speedo drive gears to match various diff ratios and wheel and tyre sizes that were used on the vans.
User avatar
Keef
MK3 Massive
 
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 5:51 pm
Location: Littlehampton, Sussex & Maldon, Essex

Re: Banana 2.5di turbo into 1948 chevy pickup conversion

Postby Greg Smith » Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:26 am

Hi.
I am still requiring info on wiring alternator and also I am going g to be running g an electric cooling fan and wondering if the temp sensor with the 2 male connectors will suffice using perhaps 1 of the positions.???
Again this is a 1948 chevy 3/4 ton truck.
Also infor.ation on where I find the speedo parts to convert from sensor to manual speedo cable that's on the chevy.
The good news is that the vans came with the same gear ratio so converting should be OK.
Thanks again..Greg
Greg Smith
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:45 am

Re: Banana 2.5di turbo into 1948 chevy pickup conversion

Postby dumper » Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:40 pm

If the alternator is a 17 acr type with the 3 pin terminals fit heavy duty wire to one of the larger ones and run it to the main terminal on the starter motor on the small terminal you need to fit the warning light wire I used to fit alternators to construction plant it was just a matter of removing the dynamo control box and just use the warning light wireing back then I used to go to a local scrap yard and cut the plug and wires off a scraper.
You may have to change the earth from positive to negative as a lot of older vehicles were positive earth with a dynamo you used flash a live feed from the battery on the the body of the dynamo to convert the earth but as it will now not have one you wouldn’t need to do this it may be just swapping the table round all the battery.
2025 MK 8 L3 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
2015 MK 8 L4 H3 motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6403
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.