*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Engine keeps running when key is removed

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Engine keeps running when key is removed

Postby andypwilliamson » Tue Jul 01, 2025 3:53 pm

1999 2.5TDi Box Bus

A fault has developed very recently where the engine keep runningwhen I turn the key to the off position. However, if I turn it back to position 2 (dash lights come on) the engine then turns off.

I also have an EML and the engine is in limp mode, but I don't know if these are related or it's a separate issue.
andypwilliamson
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2025 2:46 pm

Re: Engine keeps running when key is removed

Postby Altransit » Tue Jul 01, 2025 7:56 pm

These are almost certainly related faults. The Electronic Switch Off Solenoid (ESOS) on your EPIC pump has failed and not reacting to the switch off command, this then puts up a pump fault and causes limp-home mode.
You can prove it by stalling the engine at the same time as switching off, and then it will re-start next time without the limp.

I'm not sure if you can still get the parts to repair the ESOS, but someone else will know :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
User avatar
Altransit
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 42102
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:23 am
Location: Bicester, Oxfordshire, UK

Re: Engine keeps running when key is removed

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Jul 02, 2025 11:47 am

Suggest you have a look at my write up.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=164093

Plungers were hard to get for a while, they are easier now but have rocketed to a stupid price. I can check if I can still get one
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.