*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Mk 4 or 5 only starting problem

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk 4 or 5 only starting problem

Postby Superone1973 » Fri Jul 11, 2025 5:49 pm

Hi ya all I have a problem with my transit lefftie import motorhome. Not sure if it is really a 1996 but I don't think it matters . It only runs when I put a very big squirt of quick start. Then it will run. I replaced the lower fuel pump by the back bottom right side behind the heat shield. I put more diesel in as been sitting for a year since I last started it. There was a problem with the imobiliser for the pump but I put a live connection from the battery and you get the click when you turn on ignition. Still only started with quick start. So I changed fuel pump. Even if I leave it running for 10 minutes turn it off I can't start again straight away with out quick start. What's next on the list . 2.5td lwb 2 wheels at the back so long flat bed with a motorhome on top
Superone1973
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Mk 4 or 5 only starting problem

Postby Superone1973 » Fri Jul 11, 2025 6:09 pm

Photos attache :) d
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Superone1973
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Mk 4 or 5 only starting problem

Postby dumper » Fri Jul 11, 2025 6:21 pm

Do you know what mileage it’s done the di is really a very good starter even at low temperature I’d start by checking the timing valve clearance fuel and air filter then a compression test if ok test the injectors after that the expensive bits and the injection pump

See you added photos as I was replying looks like you have a turbo with the epic pump mat will probably reply with more information as not had anything to do with them they may have something electrical that makes them bad starting
2025 MK 8 L3 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
2015 MK 8 L4 H3 motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6403
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Mk 4 or 5 only starting problem

Postby Superone1973 » Sat Jul 12, 2025 3:28 pm

hi i cant believe i just changed the battery and it started first flick of the key. yes its td but i have never felt the turbo its slow as hell lol
Then i stopped it after 10 minutes or so. Tried starting again . The bypass for the switch for the kill switch wire fell off, Now it starts but feels weird i think struggling for fuel . Maybe the filter is blocked not running smooth now, it was the first start. i did notice the engine light was on when i turned it off the first start....
Superone1973
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Mk 4 or 5 only starting problem

Postby Superone1973 » Mon Jul 14, 2025 2:19 pm

Right filter changed filled with fuel. Started up after awhile. I drove up down the farm track twice about 1 mile . Pull in the drive left it running for a bit . Turned it off then tried to start straight away no joy. Even with easy start. It fires but doesn't catch. So basically not a filter problem . I guess maybe a air lock which expands when hot. As it started first turn after being left since Xmas.
Superone1973
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Mk 4 or 5 only starting problem

Postby dumper » Mon Jul 14, 2025 2:41 pm

I had a problem after changing the filter it started ok when cold drive 50 miles plus and stop to do some shopping and it would start but very difficult it turned out to be the filter was not pushed up into housing correctly I ended up removing the filter and the filter head and standing the filter upright and pushing the head down the filter to fix the problem.
2025 MK 8 L3 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
2015 MK 8 L4 H3 motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6403
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Mk 4 or 5 only starting problem

Postby Superone1973 » Tue Jul 15, 2025 9:18 am

Ok thanks I will try that. I was thinking also maybe the float is stuck in the fuel tank and it's sucking air because I have my van the other way now on a slope
Superone1973
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Mk 4 or 5 only starting problem

Postby Superone1973 » Tue Jul 15, 2025 3:51 pm

ok i have fuel coming in to the high pressure pump and fuel coming out when i take the tubes off the pump! not the filter side. There is no diesel coming out the engine side when i take off the tubes going to each cylinder.
I have a pypass fuel cut off but peterol comes out the tubes from high pressure pump if on or off but i hear the click when i use my by pass switch
Superone1973
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Mk 4 or 5 only starting problem

Postby Superone1973 » Tue Jul 15, 2025 8:07 pm

diesel comes out not petrol. Might as well be though lol
Superone1973
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Mk 4 or 5 only starting problem

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Jul 16, 2025 9:22 am

by putting 12V on the stop solenoid you have killed it. Thats not how these pumps work.
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.