*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Loss of power turbo diesel

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Loss of power turbo diesel

Postby roamer » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi all , got a sudden problem with my 1997 2.5 turbo diesel , going along nicely then the engine management light comes on and i start to lose power struggling to limp along at 40mph , foot flat on the floor.
there is no suggestion of a fuel problem as the engine is still nice and steady , no misfiring or other noises , if i stop and turn off the engine for ten minutes and then restart the engine management light goes out and off we go ... no problem ..... but after say ten miles or so the problem starts all over again , could it be the turbo? or is it something else.
the engine has only done 36k (motorhome) and is fully serviced.
any help greatly appreciated .
roamer

Re: Loss of power turbo diesel

Postby Guy88 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:31 pm

Need to have it plugged in for a code scan
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby AndyG » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:18 pm

Highly unlikely to be the turbo :!: unless there's clouds of black smoke coming out of the exhaust :!:

You need to check your timing belt first :!: It's condition and the timing of :!:

And as Guy88 said, you need a code scan :!:

Where abouts are you :?:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby roamer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:44 pm

thanks guys , I have taken guy's advice and booked it in for a code scan but not with my ford main dealer who wanted £75 just to plug into the diagnostics :!: have found a workshop who will do the same thing for less than half that , just have tosee now what it comes up with.
roamer

Postby AndyG » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:06 am

Good luck :!:
Most code scanners can't read the Lucas EPIC system properly and lead you up the garden path :!: :roll:
If they haven't got the proper EPIC reader, then see what results you get if they put in "Granada 2.5 diesel " :wink:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby roamer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:05 pm

interesting , I have just had the report on the scan and the garage diagnostic unit could not identify a code fault as it could not ''read'' the transits system , I will mention your comments and get them to try again , thanks.
roamer

Postby roamer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:53 pm

just to update , the code scan eventually came up with 2 faults :( , 1st the egr unit and 2nd the oil pump?
my man at the garage suggested dismantling and cleaning the egr unit , replacing it if it was obviously shot , which it was not so they cleaned it up ...... but as for the pump they said this was a major job and i would be looking at £700 plus to do this.
He suggested i try the van out for a good few miles to see if the clean up of the egr solves the problem ...if it the warning light comes on again then i have to make a decision for some major expenditure , is this model prone to failure of the pump ? cheers
roamer

Postby AndyG » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:08 am

Typical garage response :!: :roll: :roll:

What were the code numbers exactly :!: :?: :?: :?:

Forget the EGR fault :!: This doesn't cause "Limp Home Mode" :!: :wink:

The fact is, it may just be a timing error :!:
Or just an external sensor :!: :roll:

If the starter motor packs up on your van, do you change the whole engine :?: ..................NO :!:

Try and get the code numbers :D :D :wink:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby madmark » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:24 pm

:shock: :shock: oil pump i dont think so! :roll: :roll:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby roamer » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:16 pm

well you were right about it not being the EGR unit , did as the mechanic suggested after he cleaned up the EGR and took it for a good run , did 90 miles ... lovely....then on comes the light again and into limp home mode it goes.....pulled over and switched off , 5 minutes later restarted it and it ran normal again for the remaining 15 miles home.
going to get a second opinion before i go into the expensive option of the pump. :roll: i will also try and get the code numbers.

just spoke to a different mechanic...cant have a look until monday 28th..so i booked it in for then.
but he said it may :idea: be the pins on the fuel pump :?: but obviously until he does a code scan we don't know ...will just have to wait and see
roamer

Postby Laika Ecovip » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:30 pm

Hello,
herited camper with 25td 100hp 1993.
Apparently has issues in 2017 already where it suddenly did not start anymore.
Dieselpump removed and revised ... Engine running again but power loss occurred again, still not solved.

Has been off the road for a few years, but now want to use it again, it runs fairly normal but it looks like problem is more frequent during warm weather
Engine error sign is mostly on but can be off, in both ways it has no relation to the power loss.
Before I move to a mechanical iso an electrical pump I still want to investigate what possibly could be the root cause (if not the pump).
Have unplugged the EGR valve, which gives some more power, but does not prevent power loss, so do not believe it is the root cause.

Therefore I am curious how your story ended to have your power loss solved.

Many thanks,

Peter
Laika Ecovip

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits