*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Cold Start Problems

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Cold Start Problems

Postby ablaze79 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:34 am

Hiya,
I've owned my current transit for almost a year now..
Over the last couple of weeks we've had a few bitterly cold frosty mornings, where the nights have been well sub zero.
I find that on such a night, when I turn the ignition key two clicks in the morning, the engine management light doesn't light and the motor will not turn over.
If I turn the key off and on 3 or 4 times there's a click down near the floor on my left and on comes the management light and the engine starts straight away!
Any ideas as to how I can keep this bit that clicks warm, or is it a bit that needs replacing and where and what is this bit? ;-)
I think it's to do with the chip imobiliser.
Fortunatly once started and as soon as the temperature is above freezing it starts first time every time! :-)
Apollo
ablaze79
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:47 am

Re: Cold Start Problems

Postby Frag » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:14 pm

What year/model engine etc.......?
User avatar
Frag
Ford Technician
 
Posts: 5109
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Cold Start Problems

Postby ablaze79 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:42 pm

it's a 1996 2.5td 100ps
ablaze79
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:47 am

Re: Cold Start Problems

Postby Frag » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:22 pm

In that case,have a look at the relay in the plastic box under bonnet,above o/s chassis leg/under brake servo.

This is for pcm/engine management on td`s.
User avatar
Frag
Ford Technician
 
Posts: 5109
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Cold Start Problems

Postby ablaze79 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 am

Thankyou, will check it out, if unable to start! :-)
ablaze79
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:47 am

Re: Cold Start Problems

Postby dorsetransitman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:50 pm

I have an identical problem.......my "beatch" of a van will NOT start when its cold............
BATTERY. Fine when the things warmed through, but first thing 5.00am?? NO way!
(hope you dont have to resort to the evil Bradex easy start!)
dorsetransitman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:31 pm

Re: Cold Start Problems

Postby ablaze79 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:47 pm

Same time of year, same problem... this time round I'm armed with a battery tester! It's the battery!! When below freezing, the voltage drops to about 12.2 and when the key is turned to start, it's not enough power. Strangely, although I have 2 batteries in the engine bay, only one is used for starting (guess the other used to be for the wheelchair lift and aux lighting). I've been ableon more than one occasion connect jumpleads to my other battery and hey presto, van starts no prob! My batteries aren't yet 2 years old I believe and I'm not aware of anything connectd that should be draining the starting battery. Oh well, roll on summer!
ablaze79
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:47 am

Re: Cold Start Problems

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:58 pm

ablaze79 wrote:Same time of year, same problem... this time round I'm armed with a battery tester! It's the battery!! When below freezing, the voltage drops to about 12.2 and when the key is turned to start, it's not enough power. Strangely, although I have 2 batteries in the engine bay, only one is used for starting (guess the other used to be for the wheelchair lift and aux lighting). I've been ableon more than one occasion connect jumpleads to my other battery and hey presto, van starts no prob! My batteries aren't yet 2 years old I believe and I'm not aware of anything connectd that should be draining the starting battery. Oh well, roll on summer!



you want the early heavy duty starter motor, the late slim(piss week) one are crap, defo at winter time. the early fat ones will drive you of the road. :wink:
User avatar
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 4613
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: lincolnshire

Re: Cold Start Problems

Postby ZeldaTheWelder » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:25 pm

My 96 smiley is an arse to start in the cold. starters fine and good strong battery but just
seems to need an extra kick in the cold so i brought a engine jump starter box from halfords
and its been a god send has not let me down to date.
96 mk 4 smiley banana swb semi hi top
Mk6 swb low top with even more rust!
04 Connect T220 LWB.
User avatar
ZeldaTheWelder
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:14 am
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: Cold Start Problems

Postby valeterjack » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:20 am

i plug a little heater into mine overnight get into her in the morning and hey presto starts first time winows clear and nice and toastie on a cold morning :D :D :D :D

However forgot to do it last night windows frozen and van blinking cold
Image
:( :( :( :( :(
Imagemk5 nothing even comes close
www.scottish-vanners.co.uk
User avatar
valeterjack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: kelso scottish borders


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.