*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Alternator problem

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Alternator problem

Postby johnsgotwood » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:51 am

I have just replaced my alternator with a recon one. The original was 95amps but the new one is labelled 90amps on the box. Can anyone tell me what difference 5 amps is likely to make? Its made by a firm called QX Components Ltd and although it came without the vacuum pump it seemed to be a bit to cheap. £68.00 including the VAT. I am having problems with it. The voltage does seem to fluctuate with the lights on.
johnsgotwood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Alternator problem

Postby chris_gilly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:07 am

best bet, fit the standard spec alternator :)
chris_gilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Alternator problem

Postby johnsgotwood » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:16 am

It was sold to me as the correct spec alternator, it even says transit 1997-2000 on the box. I would like to think that the supplier I bought it from new what they were selling me. Afterall he came out and looked at mine on the van. I wasn't looking for a cheaper altenative.
johnsgotwood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Alternator problem

Postby chris_gilly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:26 am

it cant be the same spec if its 5 amps below and has now vacuum pump though :(
chris_gilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Alternator problem

Postby johnsgotwood » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:16 am

I know its not the right spec, but I didn't at the time. The vacuum pump is detachable from the original alternator and the the new one has a spline for it to fit on. Most new recon alternators come without the pump unless you feel like paying double the price as the pump itself is around £100.00. My question isn't what should I have bought but what difference does 5 amps make?
johnsgotwood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Alternator problem

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:49 am

5 amps will make bog all difference... but the standard bosch alternator fitted from '97 to 2000 is 90 amps....
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire

Re: Alternator problem

Postby johnsgotwood » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks Matt, at last an answer to my actual question!! Have you any idea why the lights would flicker, front and back. Its hardly noticable because it does it really quickly. Have looked for earthing faults but everything seems good.
johnsgotwood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Alternator problem

Postby johny transit » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:40 pm

yep, I don't think 5 amps will make too much difference, not unless you are doing all short journeys at night and really need every drop of current. The fault with lights dimming etc was or wasn't there before you changed the alternator? So what was the reason you needed to change it? In any event, it's possible that a wire has become dodgy since changing the part - maybe just a little way back in the insulation where there is a kink or bend, or in the plug itself? Alternatively, if it is a recon part, maybe the brushes need to bed in a bit or there is a slight fault with the new unit? I'd double check all the wiring and if nothing obvious shows up, attempt to exchange it or at least get another alternator to try. Good luck, these sort of faults can be a real pain.
"There's always a way"
johny transit
User avatar
johny transit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: North London

Re: Alternator problem

Postby johny transit » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:43 pm

ps, another thought is this - if your old alternator was faulty it could have under/over charged the battery and now that could be on the way out. Try checking the voltage with a test meter - should be 12.6 (?) volts with the engine off, and 13.8(?) with the engine running, which should come up as soon as your ignition lights go out.
"There's always a way"
johny transit
User avatar
johny transit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: North London

Re: Alternator problem

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:25 pm

yup checking the voltage with a voltmeter across the battery when running would be a good idea.

I have an (older type) QX alternator on my van - bought it on new years eve last year and I havent had a problem with it yet.
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire

Re: Alternator problem

Postby johnsgotwood » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Have tested it with the engine off and running and everything seems good. It may be like you said brushes bedding in, I'll keep an eye on it for a few days to see if it carries on. I've got a guy coming to look at it tomorrow because I'm concerned about some rather nasty wiring thats been added to bypass the PATS system and also the brake peddle fuse has been bypassed to get over the problem of blowing fuses due to frayed wiring for "Water in fuel" in fuel sensor which I have now fixed and am the proud owner of a working speedo and reversing lights. Hopefully if there is a fault he'll be able to find it. Thanks again though for the advice and glad to hear I'm not the only one with a QX alterntor!!
johnsgotwood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Alternator problem

Postby johnsgotwood » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:08 am

Just had alternator tested and turns out that its pushing out too much power,16 volts. This would explain why the lights flicker, I expext they come close to blowing. Been in touch with the supplier and they haven't got a replacement until tomorrow. So won't know until then if thats the only problem I've got. Fingers crossed though, its getting too close to Christmas for any more expense.

By the way a Pikey stopped me outside local shop and asked if van was for sale. It was so tempting to give in and say yes! Had to steer him away from the back window very quickly.
johnsgotwood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Alternator problem

Postby simplyshaker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:02 pm

johnsgotwood wrote:Just had alternator tested and turns out that its pushing out too much power,16 volts. This would explain why the lights flicker, I expext they come close to blowing. Been in touch with the supplier and they haven't got a replacement until tomorrow. So won't know until then if thats the only problem I've got. Fingers crossed though, its getting too close to Christmas for any more expense.

By the way a Pikey stopped me outside local shop and asked if van was for sale. It was so tempting to give in and say yes! Had to steer him away from the back window very quickly.


Should have sold him the alternator :wink:
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:29 am
Location: Grenoble/France

Re: Alternator problem

Postby johnsgotwood » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:06 pm

I think it was his relation I bought it from. Too many round here to tell!!
johnsgotwood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 pm


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.