*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Starting problem

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Starting problem

Postby pewe » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:55 am

I have a starting problem with my 89 Diesel 2.5 (not banana).

Since I got it about a year ago it had always started with no problem on first turn (apart from when I had a blockage in the fuel line from the tank).

Last week - after lying up for a few weeks over xmas and the following cold spell - it started as usual without a problem, but cut out after a couple of minutes.

I have not been able to get it started since, although fuel is getting through to the injectors (I took a feed pipe off one of the injectors and when I crank the engine fuel does come out of it).

Can anyone suggest what might be preventing it starting or where I start looking for the problem.
pewe
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:46 am

Re: Starting problem

Postby KH_Towbars » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:32 am

Have you tested the heater plugs?
2016 CUSTOM LIMITED LWB Shadow Black
2010 VW CADDY MAXI 1.6TDi
SOLD VW T5 102 SWB
R.I.P MK6 FWD 2.0TDDI Duratorq, EGR mod, K&N air filter, 16"alloys
User avatar
KH_Towbars
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Re: Starting problem

Postby MrMPuk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:34 am

KH_Towbars wrote:Have you tested the heater plugs?

They don't have glow plugs.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 27856
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:50 am

Re: Starting problem

Postby KH_Towbars » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:55 am

MrMPuk wrote:
KH_Towbars wrote:Have you tested the heater plugs?

They don't have glow plugs.


oops, there I go again :!:
2016 CUSTOM LIMITED LWB Shadow Black
2010 VW CADDY MAXI 1.6TDi
SOLD VW T5 102 SWB
R.I.P MK6 FWD 2.0TDDI Duratorq, EGR mod, K&N air filter, 16"alloys
User avatar
KH_Towbars
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.