Hi,
1996 120 swb lowtop mk5 ex bt,
non power steering model.
Location: South Ealing, London
Recently failed mot on a few things,
1. tires odd sizes on the front (quoted £90)
2. front disks and pads exesivly pitted and worn (quoted £220)
3. nearside gaitor split (quoted £85)
4. rear exhaust leaking- replace (quoted £90)
5. no reading from one of the rear brakes (investigate to quote)
fixed the tires £15 from the dodgy car wash guy
got new disks and pads from ebay for £46
gaitors from ebay £4
rear exhaust will get for £45
spray the crap out of the rear drum with wd40 and see what happens but might leave that to them.
so today..
jacked her up today, loosened the 5 nuts around the hub, used a tx50 on the top brake disk holder
broke 2 tx40 trying to undo the bottom one, then gave up for the day.
Im planning to take the brake caliper off, remove the brake hanger then beat the disk off.
I have the haynes transit book, not that its much good describing what size tools to use on the specific jobs, but for the life of me I cannot understand what is keeping the wheels on when your driving around?
How can you slip the disk and hub off without removing the hub nut ect.. what keeps it there? the brakes?
anyway onto the gaitors
Ive got the ball joint separator tool, removed the split pin. But can anyone tell me the size of the nut? Is it best to use a ringie, a shifter or a socket with breaker bar?
At least she didnt fail on rust, which is what I was really worried about, but if I cant do the brakes, I might have to find a garage that will do the labour with my parts.


