*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Mark 5 electrical problem

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby royspeed » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 pm

I have found an unusual problem with the lights on my old heap of a Luton.
Every time I depress the brake pedal, the headlights come on!

I have checked the fuses, all seem OK, it came on almost overnight, after I did a run up to Milton Keynes from London, the problem appeared that evening.
I wouldn't mind, but there seems to be a drain on the battery as well, I regularly have to jump start the thing!
It is a 1994 Mk 5, BTW.
Any suggestions, apart from weighing it in?

Roy.
Image
Royspeed - Transport/Removals
Only Transits used!
User avatar
royspeed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:51 pm
Location: NW London

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby the_big_fact_hunt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:52 pm

sounds like a short somewhere, check the wires around the pedal, column and bulkhead for a start
Solve the World food problem.......... Feed the homeless to the hungry

2012 115T350
User avatar
the_big_fact_hunt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Nottingham

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby AndyG » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Sounds like 2 different faults :!:

You have a poor earthing on one of your rear lamps :!:
This causes the brake lights to earth via the sidelights :!: The headlamps also glow because your van has the "dim dip" feature where the headlamps come on when the side lights are on and ign./engine is also on :)

The battery draining is likely to be a separate fault :!: Either a faulty alternator diode pack or radio staying on :?:
To be sure, you'll need to use a test meter to determine what circuit is actually draing the battery :idea: Then deal with it :D
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby GBBiker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Not quite on topic but 1994 will be a MK4 surely :?
GBBiker
Wrong Again!
 
Posts: 2028
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Blackburn, Lancashire, UK

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:59 pm

Mk5 came out in M reg... so it is possible to have a late 94 smiley
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby the_big_fact_hunt » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:26 pm

tis true, i had an m reg mk5, it was my first transit
Solve the World food problem.......... Feed the homeless to the hungry

2012 115T350
User avatar
the_big_fact_hunt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Nottingham

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby AndyG » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:30 pm

It's definitely a MK5 :!:
I know, as I've worked on it :wink: (or under it, if I remember right :lol: )
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby spikefreeway » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Andyg wrote:Sounds like 2 different faults :!:

You have a poor earthing on one of your rear lamps :!:
This causes the brake lights to earth via the sidelights :!: The headlamps also glow because your van has the "dim dip" feature where the headlamps come on when the side lights are on and ign./engine is also on :)

The battery draining is likely to be a separate fault :!: Either a faulty alternator diode pack or radio staying on :?:
To be sure, you'll need to use a test meter to determine what circuit is actually draing the battery :idea: Then deal with it :D


Its likley that if you take the rear lense cluster off and clean the terminals and connectors a bob a bit of WD40 through it, that should bottom it. Its a feature of all Fords of a certain age.

The way best way to test the diode is as above, however a low tec solutiion is if you take the chunky red lead off the alternator (hopefully a sockety thing but possibly just the bolt on type) overnight and if it doesnt go flat then your diode has had it. Either replace the alternator or fit an isolater/breaker but remember to turn it back on again when you have started up!
HACK QUOD SLASH INSQUEQUO VOS ANIMADVERTO DIES LUX LUCIS (stolen!)
User avatar
spikefreeway
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Goole East Yorkshire

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby royspeed » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Well, I have found the problem!
The cable carrying the wires to the rear light cluster were hanging down in front of the exhaust pipe, and it has fried the wires!
I will have to cut out the burnt section and reconnect it up, then tie the wiring loom up with ty-wraps to stop it happening again.
I think the wires were left loose when I got a new box on the back a couple of years ago, I just didn't notice it at the time.
Oh well, back under the van again!
I still need to get a new tail-lift motor, as the existing one is knackered, but they are so expensive!

Roy.
Image
Royspeed - Transport/Removals
Only Transits used!
User avatar
royspeed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:51 pm
Location: NW London

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby spikefreeway » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:50 pm

yup that would certainly do it, glad youve got it sorted. :D
HACK QUOD SLASH INSQUEQUO VOS ANIMADVERTO DIES LUX LUCIS (stolen!)
User avatar
spikefreeway
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Goole East Yorkshire

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby GBBiker » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Andyg wrote:It's definitely a MK5 :!:
I know, as I've worked on it :wink: (or under it, if I remember right :lol: )



So it's not a MK4 Luton in his sig then? :? I can't see it properly, it's too small :oops:
GBBiker
Wrong Again!
 
Posts: 2028
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Blackburn, Lancashire, UK

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby royspeed » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Just for reference, here is the offending wire;

Image

A bit knackered, wouldn't you say?

Roy.

EDIT; to GBBiker, It is definitely a Mk 5 in the signature, I have had a new box put on it since the picture was taken, due to a slight disagreement with a low arch! :oops:
Image
Royspeed - Transport/Removals
Only Transits used!
User avatar
royspeed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:51 pm
Location: NW London

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby captain hook » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:56 pm

Do you still need a Tailift pump :?: :wink:
captain hook
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 5753
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Wickford Essex

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby royspeed » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:15 pm

captain hook wrote:Do you still need a Tailift pump :?: :wink:


I think there is a loose connection inside the tail-lift motor, it makes a horrible noise, and often refuses to work. I can hear the solenoid working, but I usually have to kick the box to get it to co-operate :!:
It is a Ratcliff column lift, TBH it was ropey when I got the new box fitted, but it has got gradually worse over time.
Can you point me in the direction of a better one then :?:

Roy.
Image
Royspeed - Transport/Removals
Only Transits used!
User avatar
royspeed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:51 pm
Location: NW London

Re: Mark 5 electrical problem

Postby vanfox » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:03 pm

I could be wrong here but isn't the motor a modified starter motor? It's a long time since I drove small commercials but I seem to recall seeing the hydraulic pump bolted to ..... a starter motor. If so try checking the brushes, that may be all you need.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Warrington


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.