*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Drivers door won't open

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Drivers door won't open

Postby mattg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi
Title says it all really- the drivers day will not open.
the key works fine in all other doors and ive taken off the trim and checked that the Key is turning the lever inside the door. I can hear/feel it 'unlocking' but it is firmly stuck shut.

Any ideas? Its a MK6 lwb semi hi ex-riot van, and I wouldnt mind getting rid of the lock completely if it meant i could get in the drivers door instead of climbing across the seats every time. Also would be good for the old MOT....

Im not adverse to cutting the whole she-bang out if it comes to it, but probably worth trying other stuff first :D
thanks
matt

ps in case anyones worried that im actually a car thief in training, i can take a picture of me getting frustrated with said door from the inside of the van.
mattg
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Drivers door won't open

Postby birdy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:13 pm

The problem certainly on MK5s is that the key has become worn and a new key solves the problem ,have you got more than 1 key if yes try that but that could be worn also if it has been the main key in the past and you chose to use the better condition key.
birdy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mattg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Ok, ill give that a whirl thanks. Am i right in thinking that only ford can do new keys? Or is that only for ignition (like, i could have a door key and a separate ignition key)?

The only thing is, the key turns and the lock clicks just as the other door (the working passenger side)...though maybe this is just me imagining things.

matt
mattg
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby AndyG » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:54 pm

mattg wrote: Its a MK6 lwb semi hi ex-riot van

Registration number :?:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby trigger » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:05 am

This is starting to happen to me, i have 2 keys, one is more worn than the other which is the one i have been using as i don't want to wear out the other in case i need one cut from it
2013 mk7 Transit 125 Limited swb
1982 mk2 Granada 2.9 injection special Cosworth

Mk5 Transit the daddy

trigger
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mattg » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:08 am

Sorry, meant to say Mk5! Reg is S38 CUA- in fact someone on here might know it; its bright green and has mondeo clocks. ill get some pictures up.

I only have one key, which has a red insert in it- is this a master key, or just a normal key? Is there a danger that a key cut from it will not work either?
mattg
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby birdy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:57 am

Master key has a red head as against the one you have -Black with red insert .Very common for red key not to be passed on to new van owners .Firstly you can get a new key cut at pretty much any Key cutting shop and that will be suitable for door opening .Slightly more complicated is getting a replacement key that will also start the van because the key needs the chip insert to overcome the immobiliser (pats system) it used to be rather complicated and expensive ,now most good locksmiths will supply you with a cloned key that will start the van this can be done just by handing over the black key with red chip insert ,This will be a larger key with a variable chip inside and available approx £40 .Normally to get a new ford key with chip you would have to supply the red master key and the black key with red insert and that cost can be approx £80.If you live local to Manchester i can give you more info regarding a chap who will supply a cloned key .
birdy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby trigger » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:49 am

I believe later models did not have a Red master key just Black keys with the Red chip in it, that's ALL fords not just Transits
2013 mk7 Transit 125 Limited swb
1982 mk2 Granada 2.9 injection special Cosworth

Mk5 Transit the daddy

trigger
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WildGoose » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:40 pm

I only have one key, which has a red insert in it- is this a master key, or just a normal key? Is there a danger that a key cut from it will not work either?

A key cut from it, will be like a new key, as they cut from the pattern rather than from the exact key.

I've got the black key with red insert that you describe and use it just for starting the van as its pretty worn now. I got another key cut that will open all the doors but doesn't start the van as it hasn't a chip in it.
WildGoose
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mattg » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks everyone, ill get a new key cut and give it a whirl.
Cheers
matt
mattg
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gsc1ugs » Sat May 08, 2021 9:25 am

Can i ask, mk5 transit, is it power doors? if there is no power to cab should the key still open it?> pulling the lever from inside does not unlock the door
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gsc1ugs » Sat May 08, 2021 1:43 pm

Ive solved this need power to the cab
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits