*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

speedo tachograph not working

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

speedo tachograph not working

Postby dyte2004 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:51 am

HI GUY IM NEW to this forum and very new to transit vans or vans of any sort but i just got hold of a very clean 1987 lwb semi high bus it has a tachograph fitted i cant seem to get it to work i dont need the tachograph as there is no seats in the bus i just want to get the speedo to read the speed i have no idea where to start is it cable operated electric ect. any help would be great the van has a 97 di 2.5 fitted
cheers david
dyte2004
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: speedo tachograph not working

Postby madmark_50484 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:22 am

Being a 1987 it would have had a cable speedo all the way to the gearbox. If the clock surround is all still the same my guess would be it still is.
Past
MK5 98 R reg Transit 190 LWB Semi hi Top
Mk5 98 S reg Transit 190 LWB High Cube
Present
Mk5 96 N Reg Transit Luton

Forum for bus enthusiasts and preservationists
www.busesuk.co.uk
madmark_50484
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dyte2004 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:55 pm

madmark_50484 wrote:Being a 1987 it would have had a cable speedo all the way to the gearbox. If the clock surround is all still the same my guess would be it still is.

when driving if i flip forward the tacho there is nothing turning so i presume i would see somthing turning with the cable if it was working am i right
dyte2004
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:27 pm

I think the clue here is that its a later engine and gearbox...

Unless you need the tacho I would ditch it and fit a non tacho speedo and a cable - but you will need a pinion drive and cover etc from a cable drive mt75
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dyte2004 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:38 pm

MinorMatt wrote:I think the clue here is that its a later engine and gearbox...

Unless you need the tacho I would ditch it and fit a non tacho speedo and a cable - but you will need a pinion drive and cover etc from a cable drive mt75

was thinking it might be a prob with diffenrent engine what year speedo do i need one from the same age van or one from the newer van to match engine
dyte2004
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmark_50484 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:41 pm

It may still have the cable speedo guessing that the surround and clocks are original. unless of course you know something I don't

dyte2004 wrote:

was thinking it might be a prob with diffenrent engine what year speedo do i need one from the same age van or one from the newer van to match engine

if it is electronic you can get a cable drive for the box and just get a set of clocks from a mk3 or 4
Past
MK5 98 R reg Transit 190 LWB Semi hi Top
Mk5 98 S reg Transit 190 LWB High Cube
Present
Mk5 96 N Reg Transit Luton

Forum for bus enthusiasts and preservationists
www.busesuk.co.uk
madmark_50484
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dyte2004 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:55 pm

madmark_50484 wrote:

It may still have the cable speedo guessing that the surround and clocks are original. unless of course you know something I don't

dyte2004 wrote:

if it is electronic you can get a cable drive for the box and just get a set of clocks from a mk3 or 4

think i need to have a closer look see if the cable is there and if it goes anywhere
dyte2004
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanfox » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:07 am

when driving if i flip forward the tacho there is nothing turning so i presume i would see somthing turning with the cable if it was working am i right?

If you open the tacho whilst moving the needle will disengage from the main unit, there's nowt to see turning. The vehicle has to be stationary when tacho is closed. Use dummy discs instead of tachodiscs. I think it has to have a permanent feed to keep the clock and platters turning as well as the feed from the gearbox.

Someone will correct me but....if a tacho is fitted it has to be working, not sure where a transit's concerned. It may also need to be calibrated and sealed. Again not sure, wagons have to be.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dyte2004 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:11 pm

heres some photos of whats going on behind the dash the tacho seems to be electric not cable it was unplugged and the four plugs left lying behind the dash dont fit everything else on the dash works ie temp oil light battery light fuel without these plugs dont make any sense to me i thought there was only one big plug from what i have read here there is a big multi connecter you can just make it out in the photo this must do all the lights fuel ect.
dyte2004
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dyte2004 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:29 pm

and the fun goes on had a good look under the van and found nothing ie nothing connected to the gearbox at all the broken wires go to the large yellow plug on at the dash is the thing in the middle ish of the other photo a pick up for a cable like i said i am ne to transits lol
dyte2004
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanfox » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:23 pm

The last pic is where the speedo cable fits. The small threaded hole below is where the 10mm bolt fits holding the clamp that holds the cable in.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Fraser2311 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi
The cables shown are from a tachograph drive. There would have been an adapter in the gearbox with a speed signal generator on top. The four wires will be plugged into the generator. A mechanical cable will fit directly onto the existing drive shown on the picture and you will then need an original speedo head to get it working. Alternatively there are "tachograph" sized speedos available which will work with the tacho generator and are generally far more reliable.
I can quote you for necessary parts if needed.
Regards
Fraser
Fraser2311

Postby dyte2004 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Fraser2311 wrote:Hi
The cables shown are from a tachograph drive. There would have been an adapter in the gearbox with a speed signal generator on top. The four wires will be plugged into the generator. A mechanical cable will fit directly onto the existing drive shown on the picture and you will then need an original speedo head to get it working. Alternatively there are "tachograph" sized speedos available which will work with the tacho generator and are generally far more reliable.
I can quote you for necessary parts if needed.
Regards
Fraser

I CAN GET HOLD OF A STANDARD MK3 PARTS BUT THE GEAR BOX IS LATER WHAT CABLE AM I TO GET IE WHAT YEAR THERE SEENS TO BE A FEW ?
dyte2004
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:19 pm

A cable up to '97 ;)
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dyte2004 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:38 pm

MinorMatt wrote:A cable up to '97 ;)

ok cool is there some sort or retainer at the gearbox end or is it part of the cable that bolts to the box
cheers
david
dyte2004
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits