*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lights dim

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Lights dim

Postby steveselvage » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:34 pm

I noticed yesterday that the dash lights,headlights are dim and the wipers are slow.
The battery light is not on and the van starts first time as normal, the lights occasionally flicker brighter but not as they normally are.
The tipper was also slow to tip.
The van has two batteries if that makes a difference.
Its been suggested that it needs an alternator but i am wondering if the torrential rain could have been the cause.
Its a mk 5 2.5td tipper.
any ideas?
steveselvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Lights dim

Postby dodgy01 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:56 pm

earth problem
dodgy01
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dyte2004 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:23 pm

i would agree bad earth take your teminals off clean grease replace see if it make a difference
dyte2004
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby steveselvage » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:18 pm

checked the battery terminals and cleaned them up, also the earth lead to the front inner wing
Now i find both batteries are flat, ive been informed that "its your alternator mate" by my neighbour who i never see until i lift the bonnet then he appears like magic to offer opinions and to tell me im doing it wrong.
The original symptoms were everything electrical seemed to be in slow motion and the lights very dim,tipper struggled to lift. I dont think the alternator light was on but it could have been as the dash lights were so dim.
Could it be the alternator and how do i test it to find out?
2.5.td mk5
steveselvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dyte2004 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:52 pm

steveselvage wrote:checked the battery terminals and cleaned them up, also the earth lead to the front inner wing
Now i find both batteries are flat, ive been informed that "its your alternator mate" by my neighbour who i never see until i lift the bonnet then he appears like magic to offer opinions and to tell me im doing it wrong.
The original symptoms were everything electrical seemed to be in slow motion and the lights very dim,tipper struggled to lift. I dont think the alternator light was on but it could have been as the dash lights were so dim.
Could it be the alternator and how do i test it to find out?
2.5.td mk5

could well be ask your brainiac neighbour for a shot of a multi meter and test it can you get the van started
dyte2004
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sideshow_bill » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:04 pm

If the van is starting ok then the battery must be getting charged ergo, there is nothing wrong with the alternator
sideshow_bill
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Timbo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:16 pm

When you turn on the ignition without starting the engine does the battery light come on? If not disconnect the blue wire (usually middle of 3 at alternator) and connect it to earth via a 12 volt bulb (won't do any damage if you get the wrong wire). If the battery light on the dash now comes on then the alternator is suspect. If the battery light still doesn't come on then the "battery" bulb in the instrument cluster has probably blown and will stop the alternator charging.
Timbo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby solarman » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:34 pm

steveselvage wrote:I noticed yesterday that the dash lights,headlights are dim and the wipers are slow.
The battery light is not on and the van starts first time as normal, the lights occasionally flicker brighter but not as they normally are.
Its been suggested that it needs an alternator but i am wondering if the torrential rain could have been the cause.
Its a mk 5 2.5td tipper.
any ideas?

check belt tension,just measured mine when slack was charging at 12.1 and rising slowly,after adjusting belt tension via alternator showing charge at 13 .8 volts,there were no indications of alternator undercharging and the only way i found out was by testing battery voltage with a multimeter while battery 'at rest' and with engine running,
Solarman
solarman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby steveselvage » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Tested alternator output today and its 13.8 so i suppose that rules out the alt.
Went over all the earth points i could find but ive had the battery on charge all night so it will be a while before the problem presents itself again.
Suck it and see time.
steveselvage
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby solarman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:09 pm

Check the battery condition it's possible one of the batteries may be knackered(cell damaged)and even though batteries are being charged ok,if one not holding a full charge will create resistance or drag the otber down in amp capacity.It won't matter how well they are being charged if not holding it for long,it's worth checking condition of batteries anyway for the onset of winter and cold starts,battery should measure 12.7 volts at rest(at least an hour after charging) but voltage readings alone are not gauranteed to give a true indication of battery condition.
Solarman.
solarman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jim rogers » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:19 pm

did you get to the bottom ov this because iv got exactly the same . can you help me please jim
jim rogers

Postby Don Limon » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:29 pm

steveselvage wrote:I noticed yesterday that the dash lights,headlights are dim and the wipers are slow.
Its a mk 5 2.5td tipper.
any ideas?

Hey Steve, have you found the cause of this problem? I just bought a 1994 Transit and it appears to have the exact same problem...
Owner says it was stopped for 2.5 months, but before everything was working well, (last month it was very cold up to -16°C). When he tried to turn it on, the battery was dead.
After Jump Starting it started right away, but just as you say, very dim lights, slow screen wipers, no left/right signals, and almost black dashboard.

Many thanks in advance!
Don Limon

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits