*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK 6) jumpy speedo / gauges, flickering dash lights

Before you ask a question, check to see if it's been asked before. We show all the common Transit faults here and it's a good idea to read through these in case they happen to you in the future!!

MK 6) jumpy speedo / gauges, flickering dash lights

Postby APH » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:04 pm

If you have a Mk6 van that the speedo needle "jumps" from 0 to 10 Mph when idling, or the fuel guage / temp guage wobbles for a few seconds after starting, or any of the guages take a while to respond even when driving (sometimes odd warning lights can flicker on and off too), its is usually due to one of the following.

Either the multiplug connections on the back of the instrument cluster are making bad contact, and should be removed, sprayed with good contact cleaner then pushed on and off several times to "clean" the pins...or if that fails to resolve the issue...

Your charging voltage has become unstable (usually more noticeable just after starting), and is 9 times out of 10 due to a failing battery (regardless of what charging voltage is when checked with a multimeter) These vans require a steady voltage for the electronic guages to work correctly, and any variation can cause strange effects with the instrument cluster and sometimes the radio! .......

As a last resort your alternator should be checked, but only if the above dosent solve the problem.
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: MK 6) jumpy speedo / gauges, flickering dash lights

Postby Treadmark » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:23 pm

Hi
Great thread . My minibus I noticed has gauges that work sometimes and a stereo that turns off when fan gets out on ! Guessing it’s down to the crap battery!
Thanks !
Treadmark

Postby yakob » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 pm

My mk6 clocks/instrument cluster has been playing up on and off for years, but now it's got really bad I'm trying to find a long term fix. I'm going to inspect the soldering inside the IC tomorrow, but I haven't read before about the battery and radio. My radio switches its self off often enough to be unusable and the headlights make it even worse. My question is - if you can't tell the it's the battery causing the problem with a multimeter, is there any way of checking, without putting in a different battery?
yakob
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:43 pm

yakob wrote: is there any way of checking, without putting in a different battery?

You need a drop tester, which is like a big voltmeter that "loads" the battery at the same time. You can either buy one, they're not that expensive, or take it to a garage that has one and get them to test it for you.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby yakob » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:05 am

Altransit wrote:

> You need a drop tester

Exactly what I was looking for, cheers!
yakob
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Frequently asked questions!!