*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 - Powering a dead aux battery to activate C/L

Before you ask a question, check to see if it's been asked before. We show all the common Transit faults here and it's a good idea to read through these in case they happen to you in the future!!

Mk7 - Powering a dead aux battery to activate C/L

Postby Altransit » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:12 pm

As many of us know, on Mk7's equipped with twin batteries, the aux battery powers most of the van electrics when at rest, including the central locking. In the event of that battery failing, the drivers door can only be unlocked with a physical key, which can become a problem if the lock has not previously been used and is unserviceable.
Because of this, I recommend that the door lock is checked for working, and used at least every month to avoid this situation if/when it happens.
However, if this does happen to you, you will find that there's a jump start point under the bonnet, which in the event will power up the starter battery if connected to a 12v source (another vehicle or battery with jump leads.
Unfortunately, this does nothing for the aux battery which is isolated from the starter battery until the ignition is turned on, and the engine is started. Obviously this isn't possible whilst you still can't open the drivers door, but can be done if you gently prise out the quarterlight window, put the correct key in the ignition, and switch on. This will automatically deactivate the deadlocks, and you can then unlock open the door using the inside opening lever. At this point you can replace the dead battery (or batteries), and ideally, replace the non-functioning keylock in the door.

If you don't fancy prising out the window, you could try the method below, discovered by TripleSix, but firstly, be aware that you can do some damage messing with open bits of wire and electrics if you don't take care, or aren't confident, and also be aware that this won't work if BOTH batteries are dead, unless you apply power to the jump start point simultaneously.

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS METHOD MYSELF, YOU DO SO ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK or ask an autospark to do it for you :idea:

TripleSix wrote:You need a 6 inch long piece of electrical wire, bared on both ends.

Open the bonnet, and expose the jump start point which is on the engine side of the engine bay fuse box.

Open engine fusebox, bottom left is the fuse for the electric fan, pull this fuse out.

Use the wire to put power from the jump start point to the fan fuse terminal ( I can't remember which side!)

This will power up the front battery enough to let you unlock the doors with the keyfob.
Altransit
Site Moderator

Re: Mk7 - Powering a dead aux battery to activate C/L

Postby MoominCat » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:36 pm

I can confirm that TripeSix's solution worked for me! Thank you very much!!!
I've also stowed away the piece of wire under the bonnet ready for next time!
MoominCat

Postby shicko » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:51 pm

[quote="MoominCat"]I can confirm that TripeSix's solution worked for me! Thank you very much!!!
I've also stowed away the piece of wire under the bonnet ready for next time![/quote]

This may help me out hopefully, which side did you put the wire into when you removed the fan fuse ?
shicko
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Campervanmatt » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:42 am

I'm in exactly the situation described above...my mechanical lock on the driver's door doesn't seem to work and I assume I have a flat aux battery so can't get in the van. It's a mk8.
Can anyone tell me which fuse is the fan fuse to hot wire to? My engine fuse box looks like the one attached...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Campervanmatt

Return to Frequently asked questions!!