*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK 2/3/4/5) 2.5Di wont start when cold

Before you ask a question, check to see if it's been asked before. We show all the common Transit faults here and it's a good idea to read through these in case they happen to you in the future!!

Re: 2.5Di wont start when cold

Postby Russ146 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Firstly my mechanic said Most Transits have this problem. Mine already had twin batts as its an ex RAC 150 2.5Turbo but i fitted a split charge relay as i wanted to use the second Batt to run water pumps for my job.

It wouldnt start in the cold! I had wired the relay lead to the alternator so it didnt pull in the relay UNTIL the engine was running hence the not starting. I rewired the lead to an ignition on source so both Batts were on to start and hey presto it starts every time now even when its freezing.

Always dip the clutch when starting, The disengages the gearbox which will add load to the starter if it has to turn over with the engine
Russ146
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dingdangdo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:49 pm

well mines been playing up, the usual symptems, won't start first thing on cold mornings,have to bump it, luckly we're on a hill, so had the starter off today seeing I had some spare time on my hands, and no wonder it wouldn't start, the contacts were crapped up

gave them a really good clean, fitted an extra earth just to make sure, bit of an over kill but better safe than sorry, checked the charge from the alternator that's kicking out 14.8v, and the battery's holding a steady 12.69v. so will see tomorrow morning if I've fix the problem, if that doesn't do it then I'll have to fit a switch to use the second battery, then I'll have to get a new second battery as that's on it's way out too
dingdangdo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby oadamo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:12 am

hi ive just registerd after having the same problem with cold starting. my van would start fine off a bump start but first thing in the morning when cold was very slow at turning over and a pain to start, but once started would be fine all day. all it was down to was the oil, when i drained it it was like tar lol. i flushed the engine put some fresh oil in and now its fine starts first time every time.
adam
oadamo

Postby bortaf » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:58 pm

oadamo wrote:hi ive just registerd after having the same problem with cold starting. my van would start fine off a bump start but first thing in the morning when cold was very slow at turning over and a pain to start, but once started would be fine all day. all it was down to was the oil, when i drained it it was like tar lol. i flushed the engine put some fresh oil in and now its fine starts first time every time.
adam

see what you needed there was a slow oil leak from say, the cam front seal,i had one like that, never changed the oil in 5 years just kept topping it up and the oil was as fresh as a daisy when i sold the old girl ;)
and it kept the cab floor rust free, well on the passenger side it did anyway :)
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby greybonnet » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:38 am

I took my van to harveys spares in leeds with a cold starting problem and after he dragged himself out of the pub he sold me a cold starting mechanism for my 1999 swb 100 2.5 d for £15.when it would'nt fit on the pump(left hand side)I took it back and asked the portly gent at HARVEYS LEEDS what I could do to cure my woes.He said he'd get it fixed and told me to come back the next day.When I arrived at harvey's a mechanic(who does'nt work at harvey's) told me the cold start mechanism on my diesel pump was'nt hooked up and apparently their are quite a few different types of fuel pumps fitted to transit vans.Some cold start mechanisms seem to be electronic,some mechanical.Mine is a left on the left hand side of the diesel pump.Pushing this lever forward while turning the engine over ensures cold starting(I took a bit of wood,pushed the cold starting lever in then wedged it against the radiator surround).I dont change the oil(small leak on gearbox ensures oil topped up with fresh frequently)have had one startermotor problem(ford admits this is a problem for transit/mondeo)and a diff problem(bad vibrations!)which will be fixed in the new year,hopefully at Harveys!
greybonnet
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MrMPuk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:52 am

greybonnet wrote:I dont change the oil(small leak on gearbox ensures oil topped up with fresh frequently)

That's not gonna help with engine starting though.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby firestorm » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:16 pm

that make sense i thought my van had a cold start. has one wire coming out of it it, tried running live to do it but don't make a difference...
firestorm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby poppajoe » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:31 pm

firestorm wrote:that make sense i thought my van had a cold start. has one wire coming out of it it, tried running live to do it but don't make a difference...

That's probably cos it's the fuel shut off!

Try stopping it with the live connected?
poppajoe
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Eugene Speed » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:43 am

Just to add my two pence worth, my 94 Transit 100 developed the cold start problem about three weeks ago. Engine would only turn over very slowly a few times before the dreaded 'click click click' and no more battery power! Had to bump start it and go get new battery plus I added a solar trickle charger. Next morning... you know how it goes from there!

Luckily I could park on an incline so just had to bump it every morning, work commitments kept me from having a proper poke about under the bonnet. Yesterday I finally got a spare day to do some overdue jobs on the van, like replace a leaky brake cylinder and change the rear shoes. After reading some of the remedies for poor starting on here I also changed the engine oil and filter, then removed all the battery leads from the vehicle and gave all the lead ends a good seeing to with the wire brush. The starter and battery terminals got the same treatment, then all leads were put back on with an additional lead going from the battery negative to the engine block. A dab of Vaseline on all terminals finished the job, and I'm glad to say that when I went out this morning and turned the key, the old girl started up no problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the same will happen when I go out tomorrow morning, and the cold start issue has been remedied!

Thanks to all those who posted on this topic, good work!
Eugene Speed
MK3 Massive

Postby MrMPuk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Yawn
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dav3pops » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 pm

i have the same problem....all year round starts brilliantly ..1st time every time...then as soons temp drops below zero it just turns and turns with no chance of it starting...i ran the old battery down when it 1st happened but now i know its not a battery problem coz it still does it...its a 1999 2.5 deisel with no sign of glow plug light on dash ...
dav3pops

Postby ake » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:30 am

No glow plugs on a Di, When did it last get a full service including setting tappets and a new timing belt :?:
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby rescue55 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:30 am

RIGHT THEN im looking at a county lwb 190 2.5 di..Think its a 2000 as it dsnt say ..dose the county 4x4 have the same problem with the cold starting And as iv bean reading all coments about the county,s im now pritty unshure about getting one as all iv seen IS oooow--- parts---- ooooow--- the 4x4 system----- are they any good or should i weight and TRY to find a sprinter 4x4 .................................................................. ((( HELP))) oow and by the way im a forrester and a vol WILDLAND FIREFIGHTER UP IN NORTHUMBERLAND ..... AND BEFORE I FORGET the transit 4x4 dose have a much higher ground clearance than the merc and it looks the D.O.G.S to thanks BIG IAIN
rescue55

Postby ake » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:10 pm

a county could have the same problems,but it would also have the same solutions :D I have never had a Transit that wouldn't start :wink:
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby poppyabe » Thu May 06, 2010 9:48 pm

advance diesel pump on cam vernier 1 or 2mm and jobs a good n i will start like new
poppyabe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently asked questions!!